David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/22 9:55 a.m.

Thinking of buying another car? Of course you are. But how do you choose what to get next, especially in a market where prices continue to go up, up, up?  Consider these value buys–cars that are depressed, up-and-comers, long-ignored deep cuts and some models you might not even know abou…

Read the rest of the story

rustriddenB
rustriddenB New Reader
8/11/22 11:40 a.m.

Wow!! Glad I just picked up my 77 MG B! Got a decent one with only minimal front fender bottoms rust and a factory hardtop for $5800! New tires, and other ancillaries. Needs a wheel cylinder...must have brakes here in NJ !!! Damask red. Not a chrome bumper, but still ok. Should have kept my 62 MK 2 A!

klharper
klharper New Reader
8/11/22 12:31 p.m.

Gosh I think someone needs to teach you guys what "Analog" means. The Alfa Romeo 4C is anything but Analog.

FlashGumby
FlashGumby New Reader
8/11/22 3:52 p.m.

In reply to klharper :

Pretty analog for 2015. Morgans and Caterhams aren't for everyone ;)

tgschmid
tgschmid New Reader
8/12/22 7:44 p.m.

I am confused. You recommend buying small block C3 Corvettes but the photo is for a  1965 C2 Corvette. 

C3s didn't come out until 1967. Which one is the hot pic C2, C3 or both???

rdstr
rdstr New Reader
12/26/22 11:14 a.m.

You forgot the M-B SLK 32 AMG, not expensive but still quick

95 Customs
95 Customs New Reader
12/26/22 11:36 a.m.

In reply to tgschmid :

I'm guessing you mean 67 calendar year. First model year of C3 was 1968.

Bardan
Bardan New Reader
12/26/22 12:43 p.m.

Skyline GTs have only been imported in the US for a few years so there is very few here, therefore the price has been high. So when each succeeding year hits 25 years old, more will be imported here. Available supply will go up, prices will come down. This must be the buy high sell low theory. Also the C2 picture, did someone proofread this before hitting the send button?

Mustang GTCS is strictly a cosmetic, not a performance thing. Most are 2 barrel automatic. Nowhere on the car is Shelby's name so it will never bring Shelby prices. The one pictured is In exceptional condition and yet unsold at $37k. They have always brought 10% above a basic automatic coupe and always will.

Automobilist
Automobilist New Reader
12/26/22 4:21 p.m.

I guess you guys have to come up with this sort of article. Keep the non-car guys filled in on what to buy to make money, keep those auctions churning.

In my opinion / experience of owning my first car at 3 years old. Doing my first restoration at 15. Still driving the MG TD we got when I was 13  (51 years ago...) Owning, restoring, driving, fixing and road racing for decades.  Cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats & RV's.

My advice is to simply buy what you like. Become a car guy, not a speculator. Learn your cars inside and out. Have a lift or two in your garage.

Who cares if it's projected to increase in value?  Buy what you like. Who cares about fads, like rat rods, resto-mods, "Rad-Era",  and how to put an LS in whatever.  

Buy what you like...

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
12/27/22 12:38 a.m.
Bardan said:

Skyline GTs have only been imported in the US for a few years so there is very few here, therefore the price has been high. So when each succeeding year hits 25 years old, more will be imported here. Available supply will go up, prices will come down. This must be the buy high sell low theory. Also the C2 picture, did someone proofread this before hitting the send button?

I thought this would be true too, but I watched all years of R32 GTR production come available for import and the prices did the opposite.  R33's are all eligble now (1998 was the last year), and R34 GTRs have never been cheap. 

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa Reader
1/1/23 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Automobilist :

Quoted for truth x 1,000!

OJR
OJR New Reader
3/17/23 8:23 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
luS5L1uZAlD5noKTzzhVEb8Mdn4io70MsfAwRdUkA009Wb53XHxzNA2ks3QL2gFM