Bryan
Bryan Reader
12/11/08 9:45 a.m.

Been reading up on Austin Healey 100 & 3000s and I've got some questions for the fans and experts out there. Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays. First, what I read always mentioned how strong and durable the big Healeys were. Were they a lot better built and reliable than other British sportcars of that era? Second they told how the rallycars were kinda firebreathing beasts. For you roadracers out there how are the big Healeys on the roadcourse, esp. in the rain? Last, with all the special parts for the rallycars has anyone ever seen a street 3000 w/ the four wheel disc brakes, the "bubble" trunk lid, fender vents, etc? I would think a 3000 w/ those options, maybe a hardtop in nasty weather would be a bitchin GT/sportscar.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/11/08 10:59 a.m.

Been reading this? http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/big-healey/

Bryan
Bryan Reader
12/11/08 12:01 p.m.

Tim I have that issue of CMS along with other mags and books in the LBC section of the bookcase for the Big Healeys. Sadly all I can do is read and dream of owning a 3000 Mk III with the prices in the stratosphere.

dougie
dougie New Reader
12/11/08 11:16 p.m.

Hello Bryan,

I was lucky enough to purchase my restored '65 3000 MkIII before things went crazy. I now also have a '57 100-6 MM vintage racer which I campaign here in the NW. The big Healeys reputation as a strong durable sports car is due to the engineering of Jeffery Healey. Unlike Colin Chapman of Lotus, Healey designed a rugged boxed chassis and components that could take the extreme abuse of the European rallys of the day.

Healeys were built right next to MGs at the Abingdon-on-Thames factory after they moved production from Longbridge in 1957. Build quality is similar to most LBC of the time, Lucas is at work here too. The Healeys 6-cylinder motor with its low revs and long stroke is very strong producing good hp and massive low end torque. When tuned and balanced right it can produce an honest 200+ hp and 200+ ftlbs of torque. The beauty of it though is they can last a very long time even when pushed hard season after season.

Now for the real fun question, big Healeys are a kick in the As....... to road race. With the bias-ply tires we have to run in vintage means your drifting through every corner to ensure decent lap times. Healeys are heavy, you have to steer with the throttle and work the wheel the whole time. Some vintage drivers (MG, Porsche, Afla) can get lazy on the track, in a Healey you've got to be on your game the whole time. There's time to rest after the checkered flag.

Racing in the rain can be difficult for most drivers, it's the real equalizer because hp doesn't matter anymore. Healeys handle well when balanced correctly, it takes a real light touch to be fast and stay on the track.

Check out Cape Internationals web site they have a modified 3000 with a hard top just like you described. It's pretty sweet.

Dougie<a href="CRC '57 Rain">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS6sqyTfNfs

66healey
66healey New Reader
12/13/08 7:42 p.m.

From my experience they seem pretty well built. My 66 has never had the engine or tranny touched, except for oil changes. It had the carbs rebuilt in like 1974, and a fuel pump in like 75. It still has the original clutch, brake disks and drums on it. I did just go thru and rebuild all the brake hydraulics, by after 42 years I figured they were due. The only part that doesnt work on by car is the speedo/odometer. It quit some time in the late 1970's. My car has never been restored, and Im just going to freshen it up a bit to make a good driver.

EnglishCarHunter
EnglishCarHunter None
1/10/09 9:57 p.m.

Take a look at this link.

Video 2nd from the bottom "AH 3000 Rally Cars". They are monsters.

http://www.britishbarnfinds.com/Old_Movies.html

My 60 mk1 has never failed me in the 10 years I've owned her. She likes to be driven. Same clutch, just usual stuff replaced (brake pads, oil, antifreeze, and brake fiuld). Like anything else (me included), keep moving, and "things" will keep working.

dougie
dougie New Reader
1/11/09 12:51 a.m.

I like the rallying video, but this classic Dutch racing Healey video is really more my speed. The hole shot he gets is remarkable and from what I hear these guys are getting closer to 300 hp from the 6-cylinder thumper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qcxu6A6qLM

EnglishCarHunter
EnglishCarHunter New Reader
1/11/09 9:25 a.m.

I agree. That is a great start. MY big healey certainly does not sound like that!!!

: )

Bryan
Bryan Reader
1/12/09 11:37 a.m.

E.C.H. I've got two comments on that link you provided. First. I'm sitting here taking it easy fighting a head cold. Just bring up one of the Big Healey clips, turn up the volume and it really clears out the sinus'! Second. Watching the racing clips reminds me why I started driving solo/autocross instead of road racing. Driving irreplacable cars like those that close around other drivers, I couldn't do it. Thanks for the info and video link.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LG6IXTWShGdFhWU7ZItGoMmRbjnOPLJvZ8LlIobfX3rd7gwIVUunONb20xX6Yz4Q