David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/16 1:09 p.m.

For the current price of a Speedster, someone got this: one of the 50 or so surviving Porsche 597 Jagdwagens. This light military vehicle was never fully put into production, so only 71 examples were produced between 1955 and 1958. This fine example sold at Gooding & Company's Amelia Island sal…

Read the rest of the story

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
7/19/16 1:57 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Looks like it would be fun for rallyx - all the handling of a Porsche with the ruggedness of a Jeep.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/19/16 2:37 p.m.

You see I think there is a market for the Jagdwagens/Thing/Volvo C303 style vehicles.

I think it is a missed niche in the bespoke/kit world.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/22/16 8:26 a.m.

Here's a picture of it:

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
7/24/16 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Yeah I think the same thing about the mini-moke. Or less related the 500 Jolly.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/25/16 9:24 a.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: In reply to Flight Service: Yeah I think the same thing about the mini-moke. Or less related the 500 Jolly.

there is a Chinese complete mini moke being built right now (IRRC under the direction of an australian company). I wonder if someone could buy one sans engine and transmission, import it, fit a commonly available engine, make the brackets for popular drivetrain combinations (honda, toyota, nissan, VW diesel, hell maybe even a new MINI), and then sell the kit.

RevRico
RevRico HalfDork
7/25/16 9:38 a.m.

So the guy that designed the Beetle also made the 911, did he also design the Thing and this? Or is this something else "real" car guys will give me crap about for misidentifying?

I do like the wheel/grill though, and it looks like you could make all kinds of suspension travel available... Hmm.

Taking a second look, whats up with those wheels? VW style wheel studs that go over the whole hub?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
7/25/16 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Bill Cox was importing Chokes and selling them out of NC.

Here is a link to an ad. Personally, I would be wary of doing business with Bill. People either love him or despise him, but it seems like a lot more fall into the latter camp than the former.

A friend of mine did some work on one of the Chokes. It required a good bit of tinkering and adjustments to make it actually road worthy and dependable, but they are a fairly accurate copy of an actual Moke.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/26/16 7:40 a.m.
T.J. wrote: In reply to Flight Service: Bill Cox was importing Chokes and selling them out of NC. Here is a link to an ad. Personally, I would be wary of doing business with Bill. People either love him or despise him, but it seems like a lot more fall into the latter camp than the former. A friend of mine did some work on one of the Chokes. It required a good bit of tinkering and adjustments to make it actually road worthy and dependable, but they are a fairly accurate copy of an actual Moke.

I also remember his markup after I found them on Alibaba for exponentially less money.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/26/16 11:11 a.m.

So is this the same as a Thing? I wonder if Beetle = 911 and Thing = jagdwagen

D2W
D2W Reader
7/28/16 5:36 p.m.

Seems like a hellacious amount of money to pay for a VW Thing with porsche written on it. I guess there is a sucker for every seat.

outasite
outasite Reader
8/22/16 10:14 p.m.
RevRico wrote: So the guy that designed the Beetle also made the 911, did he also design the Thing and this? Or is this something else "real" car guys will give me crap about for misidentifying? I do like the wheel/grill though, and it looks like you could make all kinds of suspension travel available... Hmm. Taking a second look, whats up with those wheels? VW style wheel studs that go over the whole hub?

Volkswagen based vehicles were used during WWII. The Kubelwagen and the Schwimmwagen were the most common. The retro Kuelwagen was the VW Thing/Trekker/Safari was built from parts from other VW cars and vans. Rear engine/rear drive/Beetle front suspension/17 inches of ground clearance made these great off road vehicles. Still miss mine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TyRDgTzPXha9TTVdhVjCwWkjP7rcYmp1fNwLAJ55Gptb2zvWIsMzSGXnexf8LNmv