David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/18/20 8:20 a.m.

The subhead on that original Road & Track road test may have said it all: “Exciting–but not a finished product.” Noted issues included non-functioning air conditioning, a balky shifter, an overheating engine, electrical problems, an off-center steering wheel, locking-up rear b…

Read the rest of the story

Bardan
Bardan New Reader
4/21/21 6:29 p.m.

The part in this article about the Pantera being compared to American cars instead of their true counterparts was a common thing for the "Consumer Reports" type magazines in the 70s. I once read a comparison of a Corvette to a Honda 4 door sedan during that time. They bashed the Corvette for lack of luggage space, lack of seats and poor fuel milage. Obviously the  writer was not understanding the purpose of each car or the difference between buyers of each. Possibly they scored more points with their editor by overwhelming negative reviews, as I suspect was done to the Pantera.

shadetree30
shadetree30 HalfDork
12/30/22 4:06 p.m.

For what it's worth I have a gen-you-wine Ford dealer shop manual...

Don't everybody holler at once...

DrJ
DrJ New Reader
12/17/23 12:22 p.m.

My brother tells a great story of riding his bicycle at age 12 to our local Lincoln-Mercury dealer.  He found an unlocked Pantera on the lot and was surprised to discover that he could not comfortably fit in the driver's seat!  He is not a large person today and was smaller in 1972.  I remember seeing rust on untitled Panteras on that same dealer's lot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UfmIxYJf22cL2j77Hs8Dk8hPZvPObw1a3tlKhnLeuAasFxStxa6NcALtnI11rgXn