Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/24/20 9:30 a.m.
feature_image

How much will $30,000 get you? Apparently, a whole 2003 Panoz Esperante GTS race car.

Noted as chassis number 40, the car comes equipped with a bored-out 351 Ford Windsor engine built by Kuntz & Co Power, and dynoded at around 600 horsepower. Other race car goodies inc…

Read the rest of the story

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/24/20 10:02 a.m.

Such cool cars. I wonder what they're like to drive in anger on track? Docile, terrifying, ??

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
3/24/20 10:11 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Send me 30 grand and I’ll happily answer your question :)

APEowner
APEowner Dork
3/24/20 10:18 a.m.
Colin Wood said:
feature_image

How much will $30,000 get you? Apparently, a whole 2003 Panoz Esperante GTS race car.

Noted as chassis number 40, the car comes equipped with a bored-out 351 Ford Windsor engine built by Kuntz & Co Power, and dynoded at around 600 horsepower. Other race car goodies include two sets of wheels, brake bias adjuster, adjustable Penske shocks and an ATL fuel cell.

What's the first track you would take this to?

See how much it would cost to insure this vehicle here.

I've had the pleasure of driving one and while they're bad fast they're pretty easy to drive.  Like all fast cars, stuff happens in a hurry but the chassis is neutral and the feedback is excellent.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/24/20 10:22 a.m.

Pretty affordable for a turnkey track car, I would say. Not affordable for me, mind you, but a lot cheaper than some other options.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/24/20 3:08 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I 100% agree. I'm in no position to drop that much on a race car (let alone a "normal" car) either, but $30,000 is pretty darn inexpensive for an actual race car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/24/20 7:36 p.m.

Hayes at Wire Wheel has had a bunch of these pass through his hands, and he once told me the same thing: Heck of a deal. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/24/20 7:38 p.m.

Were there any street Panoz cars?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/24/20 7:56 p.m.
RossD said:

Were there any street Panoz cars?

Yes there were, and two have shown up in our Car Catchers: Street Panoz Esperante and Panoz Roadster.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/25/20 9:10 a.m.

Both JG and I on staff have driven these cars at Sebring. They are quite fast and a lot of fun. You could spend more and get less.  At 30G these cars are compelling, if you like thrunderous V8 race cars, and who doesn't?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wbtP91bjpjWIeWFh0W4b06A8vWvQJETztPSTNO5pUMjYQMZARNorV2jgAEBBxd44