David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/5/19 9:10 a.m.
feature_image

Calling all fans of early-’70s Mopars. This 1973 Dodge Charger sports it all: chrome mags, white-letter tires, faux wood interior accents and bright blue paint punctuated with a white vinyl top. It will cross the block at Mecum’s upcoming Kansas City sale.  See more details here.

Read the rest of the story

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
12/5/19 10:41 a.m.

I liked these better than the earlier "sharp cornered" cars.  These are just so much sleeker looking.

Minus $1200 for the missing heated air intake hose, frayed alternator belt and worm style hose clamp.  wink

wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/5/19 12:54 p.m.

I have owned several cars with B and RB Chrysler engines, but they have all been in cars that Chrysler didn't make, that actually handled and stopped efficiently. Never had much time for the large Mopar barges that do neither well.

The earlier 440s were excellent if thirsty performance engines usually with outputs in the 335 - 375 bhp range. The pictured car was a low compression gutless wonder that put out 200 and something horsepower, sadly.  I preferred the late 1960s Plymouth Barracuda fastback in terms of styling, although that Charger is certainly interesting in its own right.

Remember that this was the era of Laugh In when Chrysler was producing cars with colours like Plum Crazy (which in a fit of youthful enthusiasm I once painted a Triumph TR3 with - it was colloquially known as Statutory Grape in the enthusiast groups) and Sublime.

Donatello
Donatello New Reader
12/5/19 2:58 p.m.

Cool, yet kind of embarrasing to be seen in at the same time. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/5/19 3:17 p.m.

I'd drive that every day and twice on Sundays.  smiley  I agree that by 1973 the power was way down, but that 440 is only a rebuild away from making 500hp.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/6/19 10:17 a.m.
noddaz said:

I liked these better than the earlier "sharp cornered" cars.  These are just so much sleeker looking.

Minus $1200 for the missing heated air intake hose, frayed alternator belt and worm style hose clamp.  wink

Okay, so it's not just me. Just love that shape. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SNp0GWrmYXhbrMkk2uZeLdUeZ4jnuSL1ngX4G7t5JeKKXVsfHRvKS9bsw9zcO477