David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/15/20 9:40 a.m.
feature_image

Here’s a 2005 Ford GT that’s not like the rest: no stripes–said to be one of just five ordered that way–plus just 1531 miles and no damage or paintwork. This one comes complete with documentation and history. 

Carlisle Auctions will offer the car at their Lakeland Winter Auction, scheduled for February 21-22 in Lakeland, Florida. Find more details here.

Read the rest of the story

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/15/20 11:26 a.m.

It's not a "Stripe Delete"

For something to be "Delete" it needs to be standard equipment and the buyer has to specify to have it removed.

There were only four options for the Ford GT:

Polished wheels.

Painted calipers.

McIntosh stereo.

Racing stripes.

This is simply a low-option model. The information in the auction doesn't specify what it has so considering the wheels are satin and they don't mention what stereo it has, draw your own conclusions.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/15/20 11:42 a.m.

If you've ever get to drive one, be sure to read the warning sticker on the driver's door sill. It's awesome.

It says "When traveling as speeds exceeding 100mph, increase tire pressures to XX"

I love that is says "When" not "If". They're not even hoping that you're going to drive it like a normal person.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/15/20 4:22 p.m.

I will say this about driving one: It's way more civilized around town than expected. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/15/20 9:53 p.m.

I got to ride in one once. That was easy the most uncomfortable place I've ever been, and I've been in the back of a Volkswagen. It was impossible to get in and out of, I wanged my head on the roof, the seat sucked.......

And Jesus Christ I want one. I'll never afford one, but yeah. Ford done good here. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/15/20 10:02 p.m.

I play the "God forbid if anything should ever happen to my wife" in my head and I wonder how much of my savings and retirement fund will it take to buy a car like this.

You know I'd be sad and a nice Ford GT40 would cheer me up.  

My dad spent $35,000 on brick walks and garden walls after my mom passed away.  He seemed happy.  

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/15/20 11:01 p.m.

I took our customer's GT for inspection when we brought it in to the country.

On the drive back, I thought "Maybe I'll take the long way back and see what it does on the highway"

After some minor hooning on some surface roads, I decided that if I misbehaved on the highway in this car, I would end up in jail.

The feeling that you absolutely -could- outrun anything they threw at you is pretty cool.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/16/20 5:41 a.m.

Wait, let me get my checkbook...

Our Preferred Partners
ZypFUAtN5vdDGcXd0Af46MGVwTj8HxjVmFJXETLCqeLMXAWip5Z1hoQ3WhZnIqgP