Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/2/19 3:00 p.m.
feature_image

If you love classics but have a few kids that do as well, this 1961 Pontiac Bonneville Safari might just fit the bill. Our own Edsel Villager project proved to be a hit, so we figure there are a few readers who might like what this Pontiac has to offer: room and power. The 389 Tri-Power Pontiac is …

Read the rest of the story

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/2/19 9:31 p.m.

Very nice.  It's a well optioned car - air conditioning and power seats were uncommon, especially in a wagon.  It's been upgraded from a generator to an alternator. Not sure why the engine is painted black, though - Pontiac engines were sort of a blue/turquoise color in 1961.  If I wanted to get real picky the individual air cleaners and the carburetor fuel lines are incorrect as well.  smiley

I have a 1961 Bonneville two door hardtop with tripower and a four speed.  At one point I was intent on collecting all available styles of 1961 Bonnevilles, and had a convertible and a four door hardtop so the only one I was missing was the Safari wagon.  Never found one that met my requirements for what I wanted to pay, though, and eventually sold off the convertible and four door.  The other problem was owning three of them at a time took up a lot of garage space as it was, so adding a fourth would have required an expansion. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
10/2/19 10:36 p.m.

Us old guys love our wagons. 

In fact, I have this image of the aforementioned Edsel that I took at the Rolex last winter.

There's a 65 tripower four speed Pontiac wagon that's driven regularly here in DeLand. Last time I saw it, the owner had it at Lowe's on a hardware and lumber run.

Tberg
Tberg New Reader
10/6/19 11:59 p.m.

My dad's first station wagon was a '59 Pontiac Catalina that was green with a white top.  It was very stylish, and we kids, loved sleeping in the back compartment on long trips. This car being featured brings back some fond memories.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bgpSmo5T46Y3F2WOCIdC1GapWI3XslgIOORdv1FH317bdkG3v3yxDwyfFWksrzC4