1 2
Rupert
Rupert New Reader
3/26/11 9:33 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Widow maker!!, damned straight!

While in college I worked part time at a Royal Enfield, BMW, Kawasaki shop. This was around 1970 and we still had bike cops here who rode Harleys. Needless to say the bike cops in their knee boots always laughed about those little rice burners, at least for awhile.

One day two cops on duty showed up and one wanted to ride a H1. We suggested we all ride our bikes over to the nearby Fairgrounds parking lot so he could get used to it. Nope, not having any of that! He knew bikes! So after assuring he had personal liability insurance, we let him ride the H1 off the lot.

Our lot had a little uphill grade and this guy wasn't exactly svelte so he killed it a couple of times trying to ride away. In frustration he wound it up and dropped the clutch. Those of you who have ridden H1s know what happened next!

The bike happened to be pointed down the 5 lane main street when it popped a monumental wheelie. Our hero hung on to the handle bars but couldn't unwind the throttle for hanging on. Just past the corner the bike finally ran out of go and sat down on two wheels.

Sitting on the sidewalk next to the gutter our hero hung his head and puked. Luckily he was smart enough to put the H1 on the center stand before getting off. I walked over and recovered the H1 and rode it back as if nothing had happened and we went inside to watch through the windows. A while later our hero limped over, straddled his Harley, and he never came to our dealership again.

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
3/26/11 9:37 a.m.
Rupert wrote: In reply to BoxheadTim: Widow maker!!, damned straight! While in college I worked part time at a Royal Enfield, BMW, Kawasaki shop. This was around 1970 and we still had bike cops here who rode Harleys. Needless to say the bike cops in their knee boots always laughed about those little rice burners, at least for awhile. One day two cops on duty showed up and one wanted to ride a H1. We suggested we all ride our bikes over to the nearby Fairgrounds parking lot so he could get used to it. Nope, not having any of that! He knew bikes! So after assuring he had personal liability insurance, we let him ride the H1 off the lot. Our lot had a little uphill grade and this guy wasn't exactly svelte so he killed it a couple of times trying to ride away. In frustration he wound it up and dropped the clutch. Those of you who have ridden H1s know what happened next! The bike happened to be pointed down the 5 lane main street when it popped a monumental wheelie. Our hero hung on to the handle bars but couldn't unwind the throttle for hanging on. Just past the corner the bike finally ran out of go and sat down on two wheels. Sitting on the sidewalk next to the gutter our hero hung his head and puked. Luckily he was smart enough to put the H1 on the center stand before getting off. I walked over and recovered the H1 and rode it back as if nothing had happened and we went inside to watch through the windows. A while later our hero limped over, straddled his Harley, and he never came to our dealership again.

OOPS,

Sorry, I tried to do Bold for part of this but that part disappeared. What was hidden by "strong-strong" is they sped through a Red traffic light still on the rear wheel. As 2-strokes do, it ran out of go after he crossed the intersection and set back down on two wheels. But not before he scuffed the toes of both his kneed-high boots on the pavement.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5KtbEXHPp97aE4Qxqy8IZZQnMMWHBnGUHyo4FgQBA2Jc4wlY7tet5mKlogQfNGnw