Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/27/16 2:04 p.m.
feature_image

This one's interesting. What you see here is a 1964 Triumph Spitfire. According to the seller, "The body has been heavily modified—part aluminum, part steel, part fiberglass—to resemble a vintage race car." In our book, no extreme bodywork is required to make a Spitfire look like a vintag…

Read the rest of the story

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
6/27/16 2:54 p.m.

I'm going with "mostly terrible" at anything closer than 100' viewing distance.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
6/27/16 3:02 p.m.

While I appreciate the passion and (assumed) craftsmanship, I'm going to lean towards "mostly terrible". If he had reproduced the look of the first racing Spitfires, then it would be a "mostly cool".

Like these:

-Rob

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/27/16 3:04 p.m.

A third for mostly terrible, but as always, styling is very subjective.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Reader
6/27/16 3:07 p.m.

It looks like he was headed down the Macau car path with his build.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
6/27/16 6:24 p.m.

I'll clarify - I think the driver's faring is cool. The useless roll hoop is meh, but the recessed side-pipes is what pushes over the edge of "nope" for me.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/27/16 7:53 p.m.

I like the color.

Gary
Gary Dork
6/27/16 7:58 p.m.

I agree with T.J.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
6/27/16 8:25 p.m.

Bit too much.... every bit

Gary
Gary Dork
6/28/16 7:46 a.m.

Here's another butchered Spitfire that was originally offered as an "unfinished customized Spitfire" for $1,000 a couple months ago. Apparently there was little interest so now it's being parted out:

WWMAGA

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/28/16 10:08 a.m.

"Double side pipes recessed into the body on both sides -- a feature I've never seen on any other Triumph."

And I hope never to see this feature again on a Triumph, either. It really doesn't work visually or mechanically. Still, it doesn't look too hard to remedy (particularly if it's not functional), and the rest of it is kind of interesting.

Gary
Gary Dork
6/28/16 12:22 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

I agree. Double side pipes recessed into the bodywork worked well on the Big Healey factory rally cars of the sixties because their undercarriage exhaust was so low and would otherwise have been torn off in competition events. I suppose that's what the builder of this gem was trying to emulate. But it wasn't necessary with a Spit. None of the other stuff either, really. Spitfires, especially the early round tail variety, are pretty pretty as they are (I own one, so of course I'm biased). I personally don't appreciate any modifications to the basic design. But I suppose people have their own ideas of "good taste" and think they can improve it.

dherr
dherr New Reader
7/1/16 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Gary:

I like his comment "As you can see. I started to restore this Triumph, but other things came up." Those other things being a cut off wheel, sense of style and good judgement?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CD6oNHclUWrO3Z62zfb3eJrvJhCQdRnJxgvi1MRfsf7h8IAv7mK5YVswA4Ui4ZI0