Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/19/11 2:17 p.m.

Click here to see it in the classified section.

This amazing California truck is offered in its original color combination of Wimbleton White and Bright Red Interior.
Quick off the line, it is completely docile and cruises effortlessly at 80 mph at about 20 mpg. This truck has been driven across the country once and I would not be scared to leave tomorrow to do it again. There are no cooling or other issues and the modern conveniences like air conditioning, overdrive automatic transmission and modern stereo make long drives in this truck a treat.
Mechanically, this is exactly like a 1965 Mustang and this truck has been restored and rebuilt to what would have been HiPo GT specification, had it been available on Falcons.
Every single detail has been thought of and no expense has been spared on the restoration of this vehicle. All work, except paint and engine, was done by the owner, in 2004-2005. The owner has restored over 40 vehicles. Reason for selling is we found an Edsel Station Wagon we like even better. Classic Motorsports Lettering will be removed before transferring clean Florida title to new owner.

Driveline:
Completly rebuilt Ford 289 Cubic Inch
• dynoed at 260 Horsepower (dyno chart available)
• Mild Crane cam
• Vintage Edelbrock F-4B intake manifold
• New Holley 600 cfm carb
• New MSD distributor
• Headers
• New Pistons/rings/valvetrain 9.3:1 compression
• Newly rebuilt 1987 Ford four speed/overdrive AOD Automatic transmission
• Ford Ranger pickup with larger than stock brakes, 3.73.1 final drive with limited slip differential. All rebuilt.
• Driveshaft balanced with new U-joints
• Generator upgraded to modern Ford Alternator

Body and Paint:
• Wimbleton White two stage PPG paint by The Body Werks over nearly flawless California body. Painted in 2004.
• Original Deluxe trim package which included bright windshield and bed trim
• New Vintage Air conditioning and heat keeps you perfectly cool in Florida sun
• All stainless trim buffed
• New Chrome throughout

Interior:
• Futura trim package retro fitted (never offered in a Ranchero)
• A-pillar mounted Autometer Tachometer
• Lokar shift lever. Throttle pedal and linkage
• Custom AutoSound AM/FM four speaker stereo with iPod jack

Suspension/Brakes:
• Every single nut and bolt on the chassis new or restored.
• Wilwood front big four piston Dynalite Brakes
• Upgraded to modern Dual master cylinder braking system
• 15x6 American Torq/Thrust wheels with New Cooper Cobra tires
• Koni Shocks at all four corners
• Upgraded 1” front anti-roll bar
• Original Falcon power steering (retrofitted)
• Entire chassis painted black and undercoated
• New and upgraded front and rear springs
• Air bag helper in the rear to increase carrying capacity

Accessories:
• Hella halogen headlights
• Rubber bed mat
• Bed tie downs
• Class 2 trailer Hitch with lights
• New spare tire, original jack and tools
• Full tonneau cover

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/19/11 4:23 p.m.

Want? Yes!

Afford? No...

A project before my time, but looks like it's been a lot of fun. A Mustang in a mule's clothing...

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/20/11 7:37 a.m.

Does that engine have hydraulic or mechanical lifters?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/20/11 8:40 a.m.

I don't know off about the lifters the top of my head, but I'll quiz Tim as soon as I get the chance.

I've had the opportunity to borrow the Ranchero, and it's a LOT of fun. The rumbling exhaust, the gorgeous paint, and the fact that there just aren't that many of them make it the "Goldilocks" sort of just right.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/20/11 11:35 a.m.

It wouldn't have had solid lifters from the factory, and there's no reason for them with the mild cam and heads, so I'd think it would have hydraulic, but don't know for sure. Sounds like what it needs to make a lot more power is a set of good heads.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/21/11 8:04 a.m.

The truck has hydraulic lifters. The Edsel replaces this one an price is slightly negotiable and interesting partial trades either way would be considered, but I probably would be better off to get this thing out of here and fund our next project, with the funds. And yes, I did the restoration other than paint (Body Werks) and engine and trans myself. Abacus Racing built the engine.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
1/21/11 11:16 a.m.

Tim you have a serious case of automotive ADD. The 914, Ro-spit, Bezerkley and now the Ranchero. I thought these were all keepers. I hope I'm alive and rich when you dump off the TR3.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/21/11 12:46 p.m.

As Per has mentioned in some of the other for sale threads, it's the nature of their business. A magazine project car tends to lose a bit of value to them once the project is finished.

Me personally, I'm hoping I have available funds and space when Tom's Spitfire goes up for sale.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/21/11 12:56 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Tim you have a serious case of automotive ADD. The 914, Ro-spit, Bezerkley and now the Ranchero. I thought these were all keepers. I hope I'm alive and rich when you dump off the TR3.

It's a common affliction.

If storage space were free, we'd all have a lot more cars. It's hard to handle care and feeding on all of them, though.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/22/11 9:46 p.m.

Do these things really bring 20 grand now? Maybe I need to sell the Mini and buy that Falcon convertible while I still can afford it...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gLNOBPOQMirifHC0YuFh0SrsSAUxnlpVRHutYR8m18NeNe91318cCQmqghv3XGzC