1 2
dherr
dherr Reader
4/2/18 8:05 a.m.

Not a build thread, but have my own web site (very old, but will update it sometime soon. There is a section on the TR4A and Rover swap here http://v8triumph.com/Rv8.htm

Engine wise, it runs great, is really fun and quite powerful. The aluminum V8 weighs less than the 4 banger, so did not mess up the handling. My issue is wheel hop, I have a solid axle 4A and I have built traction bars but can't get it to work properly, so you have to get it rolling and then stomp on it. Been contemplating putting in a TR6 frame and R200 /Good parts swap after I finish the turbo Miata Spitfire.....

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
4/2/18 3:51 p.m.

What did you do to strengthen the chassis?  My 4 flexed so badly the doors would pop open while cornering?  Of course i still want another one.  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/2/18 4:13 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600 :

That right there, is my enduring memory of all things TR. If you drive with your arm slung over the door, the door gap will eventually pinch the back of your bicep.

Then the door will fly open, you will fall out, and you will die.cheeky

Pete

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
4/2/18 5:07 p.m.
NOHOME said:

That right there, is my enduring memory of all things TR. If you drive with your arm slung over the door, the door gap will eventually pinch the back of your bicep.

Pete

The obvious answer is to drive a TR3.  Except you will fall over the door and die. cheeky

I've driven an MGB with a Rover V8.  The instantaneous ludicrous amounts of torque for the Bs weight was intoxicating.  Switching to a TR6 frame may just trade axle hop for excessive squatting.  Go with 600 lb/in springs.

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
4/2/18 8:18 p.m.
dherr said:

Not a build thread, but have my own web site (very old, but will update it sometime soon. There is a section on the TR4A and Rover swap here http://v8triumph.com/Rv8.htm

Engine wise, it runs great, is really fun and quite powerful. The aluminum V8 weighs less than the 4 banger, so did not mess up the handling. My issue is wheel hop, I have a solid axle 4A and I have built traction bars but can't get it to work properly, so you have to get it rolling and then stomp on it. Been contemplating putting in a TR6 frame and R200 /Good parts swap after I finish the turbo Miata Spitfire.....

Something like this?

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
4/2/18 10:07 p.m.

I'm going to second the Fiat 124 spider vote. Every time I drive one I'm reminded of a 1.6 NA. Also the Fiat is the ONLY vintage roadster with a top mechanism that comes close to the Miata top. The British tops are like putting a pup tent in comparison to the one handed operation of the Fiat top.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
4/2/18 10:35 p.m.

All good choices here but I'll put this out there:

A Spridget with a Datsun A-series engine and 5 speed. For starters the Datsun A15 and 5 speed is 60lbs lighter than the BMC combo. Additionally the Datsun is a 5 main bearing motor. It's possible to get a 100hp at the rear wheels in streetable trim. Add this to the fact that you can get a Spridget down to under 1400lbs with the Datsun set up. The power to weight ratio is enough to keep up with V6 Camrys. Since an A15 in this trim will rev to 7800 rpm you can run a 4.30 rear gear for better acceleration and with the .86 5th gear you could happily cruise along at 80-85mph. 

Datsun A-series engines and 5 speeds are very common conversion in Spridgets. We have a number of Spridget owners on Datsun1200.com

OR 

Put an Alfa, MGB, Spridget engine in a Miata.........what the heck it's the opposite of what everyone else tries to do. If that's not enough than I suggest a TR4 engine in a 5.0 Mustang.

dherr
dherr Reader
4/2/18 10:41 p.m.
JoeTR6 said:
NOHOME said:

Pete

The obvious answer is to drive a TR3.  Except you will fall over the door and die. cheeky

I've driven an MGB with a Rover V8.  The instantaneous ludicrous amounts of torque for the Bs weight was intoxicating.  Switching to a TR6 frame may just trade axle hop for excessive squatting.  Go with 600 lb/in springs.

Doors and frame flex is fine, the torque is intoxicating, you can literally put the car in 4th gear and treat it like an automatic, as it s good from a slow roll at 10 MPH to over 100

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IxFTDPBEA5P8ghsi4cS56UrWV5iDmj789RmScL1ZEgtt8oKJfv73ht3sxbZ5HeDS