Peter Brock
Peter Brock
7/14/20 10:29 a.m.

I can’t remember exactly when I was given my first tiny die-cast model car, but it was back in an era when the sophistication and detail of today’s offerings would astound. Still, it was a treasure that had more meaning than any other childhood possession. Somehow its presentation by a …

Read the rest of the story

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/15/20 12:27 p.m.

I still have some of the Hot Wheels from my childhood, but I must admit that I probably now have far more that I've purchased as an adult. It's been a lifelong hobby for me. It's almost impossible for me to go to the store and not swing by the toy section to have a look.

Ihave a smattering of 1/43 scale cars as well, because like you mentioned in the article, it's extremely popular worldwide. Some cars are available only in that scale.

I also have some 1/24 scale diecast because it's the scale of choice for NASCAR, and pairs well with plastic model kits which I also love to collect (and sometimes even build!) and I've got a few 1/32 scale cars too. Most of these cars are out of my reach in 1/1 scale, but at least I can admire their miniature likenesses. Big or small, I'll collect them all. (Or go broke trying.)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/27/22 2:18 p.m.

How do you limit yourself when it comes to die-cast cars? Personally, I try to stick to cars that we have owned just to limit things. It's more of a guideline than a rule. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
5/19/23 9:52 a.m.

I try to limit die cast collecting to VWs.

But Mercedes are German also.  And look!  That BMW is cool!  And I can't leave that Porsche , it's like a brother to a VW.  

Wow!  A Mini!  And that is a great looking Mustang!

But like I said, I try to limit die cast collecting to VWs.  That works pretty well for me.

Scott

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dmhgNL8zrdXNKTqSKqj0FHcm9Ge2unamXVaSrv7ikJ7hsDLTI5dZPT7naUiiGxhA