Lowpad
Lowpad New Reader
10/30/20 11:45 a.m.

Car: 1911 Cadillac Model 30 Demi-Tonneau

Owners: Karen and Michael Tomko

Proposed Class: American Antique (1900-1931)

Representing: Lime Rock Sunday in the Park Concours

Description: Originally delivered to famed Cadillac dealer Inglis Uppercu’s Columbus Circle showroom in New York, this 1911 Cadillac was discovered in Newtown, Connecticut, after spending 40 years in a barn.  Little is known about the early history of the car, other than it stayed in the New York City / Fairfield County CT area.  It was purchased in 1946 by a former B17 Flight Engineer, but went into storage in 1964 and stayed there for 40 years until the Tomkos acquired it.  During the winter of 2006-2007, the engine was completely rebuilt and the following summer the family went on several tours, putting on about 1,000 miles.  The car is used regularly for motoring around town, including simply enjoying a beautiful ride and getting ice cream with the kids.

This car was the winner of the Pre-War class at the 2020 Lime Rock Sunday in the Park Concours. 

thomasparke
thomasparke None
10/30/20 11:52 a.m.

Car: 1986 1/2 Volkswagen Scirocco 16V

Owner: Tom Parke

Proposed Class: Built or Designed by Karmann AND Cars of the ‘80s & ‘90s

Details: I am the third owner. The original owner purchased this car in New York in 1986 at age 21 and he kept it completely bone stock. He eventually sold the car in 2017 (at age 52) to a gentleman in New Jersey who promised to find a good, permanent home for the car. The gentleman that sold the car to me installed Euro bumpers, Euro headlights, Euro corner markers, lowered it a tad and added a new exhaust. He also thoroughly cleaned every part of the engine bay, plated many parts and replaced all of the wear and tear items (belts, hoses, etc). I live in California, but I found this car while looking through the New Jersey craigslist ads in the fall of 2018. The gentleman that sold this car to me deliberately did not advertise the car on BaT, eBay, VW Vortex, The Samba, Autotrader, Facebook groups, etc. because he wanted to handpick the next owner. Purchasing this car was a 60-day process. It was like I was being interviewed or like we were dating, as we got to know each other and I made it clear that my intentions were to keep the car and drive it, not flip it for a profit. I had to provide references (which he called) to vouch for my previous Scirocco ownership and the owner insisted that I send a friend of mine out to see the car in person. The owner and I developed a friendship before he finally agreed to sell the car to me in January of 2019. Since purchasing this car, I have not only stayed in close contact with the gentleman that sold the car to me, but I have also gotten to know the original owner [who owned it for the first 31 years] through Facebook. Whenever I drive this car, I will always get a thumbs up from someone and/or approached in a parking lot to ask me about the car. For me, this car was not financially obtainable when I was a teenager in the late 80s/early 90s – and by the time this car was financially obtainable, most of them had been destroyed by their young owners.

I’ve been smitten/obsessed with these cars ever since my elementary art school teacher purchased a VW Scirocco 16V in 1986. I purchased my first Scirocco in 2011, shortly after reading a “Collectible Classic” article in Automobile Magazine that validated my Scirocco obsession – and that magazine article inspired me to seek out a Scirocco for myself. Now, as a 43-year-old father of two, this car is my primary stress-reliever. It never fails - I just need to do a 150-mile loop in this old VW every couple of weeks, and then my sanity is instantly restored. It's impossible not to smile after a spirited drive in a Scirocco.

Walk-around video: https://youtu.be/bqvpvd1v4g8

Interior video: https://youtu.be/lCGvo6md_pA

Engine bay video: https://youtu.be/yM3DKcqH0kY

I was invited to participate by Team RADwood. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/30/20 11:55 a.m.

Car: 1932 Chrysler Imperial CL

Owner(s): Bob Becker,

Proposed Class(es): American Antique

Representing: Cobble Beach Cocnours d’ Elegance

Details:

Chrysler’s Imperial line was a competitor to Cadillac, Lincoln and Packard. It was designed by Al Leamy, who designed the Cord L-29, and was executed by LeBaron to compete in style and performance against the luxury brands. Sitting on a 146-inch wheelbase, this is body number one, making it the very first convertible sedan built by LeBaron for Chrysler, and it carries prototype features throughout. It is extremely competent on the road with its 125-hp powerplant and four-speed transmission. It is also known to have been purchased by Clark Gable off the New York Auto Salon floor in 1932 and held in his ownership for a period of time. Produced in very low numbers, these cars are extremely rare and desirable, and a true pleasure to drive and enjoy.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/30/20 11:59 a.m.

Car: 1955 Ford Thunderbird

Owner(s): Chris Hadfield

Proposed Class(es): American Antique (1933-1948)

Representing: The Cobble Beach Concours d’ Elegance

Details:

Chris Hadfield is a fighter pilot, astronaut and spaceship commander, but he has always wanted to drive a 1955 Thunderbird. When this Snowshoe White model came up for sale in 2001 near London, Ontario, Chris was working as NASA’s director in Star City, Russia, so his Dad went for a look at the car on his behalf; Chris ended up buying it over the phone. Chris and his son Evan drove “Snowshoe” down to Houston, Texas on an epic springtime road trip, stopping at every roadside attraction, including Graceland. The car was Chris’ daily driver to and from his work at NASA for the next decade, parked conspicuously on sunny days in the “astronaut parking” lot at the Johnson Space Center, and carefully moved to higher ground during the hurricanes. Snowshoe originally rolled off the Dearborn, Michigan assembly line on August 3, 1955; was sold new in Seattle; and spent 30 years in Victoria, B.C. as a doctor’s wife’s car (he had a black ’57). It was rebuilt in 1974, eventually bought by the owner of a Canadian Tire franchise in 1988, brought to Ontario, and stored. The car has just come out of a full restoration by craftsman Dave Harrison of Straffordville.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/astronaut-and-the-55-t-bird/

https://driving.ca/ford/thunderbird/features/feature-story/this-1955-thunderbird-is-one-of-the-most-beautiful-machines-chris-hadfields-ever-piloted

Lowpad
Lowpad New Reader
10/30/20 12:05 p.m.

Car: 1963 Corvette Sting Ray Coupe

Owner: Robert Boutot

Proposed Class: Sports & GT (1960-1969)

This Daytona Blue 1963 Sting Ray Coupe features the famous, 1963-only split rear window.  It's one of a very limited number of  1963 Corvettes equipped with the 360-horsepower fuel-injected engine and was also equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission.  It was restored by the current owner and was awarded "Top Flight" status by the NCRS.  

This car was Awarded Best in Show - American at the 2020 Sunday in the Park Concours

(Photo credit Bryan McCarthy)

(Photo credit Shawn Pierce)

GeoffreyHorton
GeoffreyHorton New Reader
10/30/20 12:07 p.m.

1955 JAGUAR XK 140- FHC- SE/MC

Geoffrey Horton

Sonora Ca

Proposed class: Jaguar

Born:                                     September 21, 1955

Dispatched:                         October 4, 1955

Model:                                 Jaguar 3.4L  XK140-FHC-SE-MC, Old English white/ Red leather interior   

Special Equipment:           Includes “wire wheels” - “ Lucas Ft 576 fog lamps” 

Extras:                                 “C” head, “dual exhaust” and “Overdrive”

Main Distributor:              Charles Hornburg of Los Angeles

First Owner:                       Evelyn Miller, 1956 N. Alexandra, Los Angeles, CA

Second None Owner:       Bob Baker, P.O. Box 54, Volcano, CA, 95689,  1964 to 1982

Mr. Baker drove the XK 140 for 5 years, then stored the car in his barn from

1969 to 1982.  Vehicle stored mileage  65,570. 

Third Owner: BARN FIND

1982, Geoffrey & Gayle Horton, 15885 Avenida Del Sol, Sonora, CA

I answered a classified ad in SF Chronicle “Jaguar 1957 XK-140-MC $3,000.00”.

Jaguar was stored in a barn for 13 years in Volcano, Ca. Barn rats had taken

over the entire vehicle. They had consumed the interior and were living inside              

the engine block. Engine freeze plugs were missing which provided a nice 

shelter for their nest. Seller assured me the car ran fine before he put it into 

storage. A four year body off restoration began.

In March 2007, registered XK 140 with “Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust” Certificate # 11418, w/ matching numbers. Present mileage by now was 65,720. Confirmed the JAGUAR was a 1955 vintage not “1957”.

eshaia3
eshaia3
10/30/20 12:22 p.m.

Car:
1960 Aston Martin DB4 (299L)

Owner:
Mike Eshaia

Proposed Class:
Aston Martin

Details:
Originally this car was sold new in San Francisco, CA. (In this video, I describe how the car came to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0vLKFMkeIY). I restored this car mechanically and painted it to use for vintage racing events. Car was also rallied at Monterey Historics, Westwood in Canada, and raced many times at Portland International Raceway. The coachwork was designed by Touring of Milan, Italy. The body panels are hand made of aluminum mounted on a steel tube frame and featuring Superleggera (Super-light) method of construction. The interior, toolkit, and 16” wheels are all original, along with the logbook.

Photo Credit goes to David Charvet and Al Stevens. Video Credit goes to Mike Spicer. This was intended to be entered in the Oregon Forest Grove Concours de’ Elegance.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/30/20 12:48 p.m.

Car: 1962 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Owner(s): Bill Wallace

Proposed Class(es): Sports & GT Cars

Details:

Chevrolet constructed what added up to 14,531 Corvettes in 1962, some 1,918 of which were provided with the optional Rochester Ram-Jet fuel infusion choice that gave the 327-cubic-inch motor a whopping 360 horsepower. Rarer still were the 561 that accepted RPO 276 15x5.5-crawl wheels; the 246 with RPO 687 considerable job brakes and suspension; and the 65 with the RPO 488 24-gallon fuel tank. Rarest of all might be the Corvette that came with all of these options on it, and that’s just what this car happens to be. This 1962 Tuxedo Black-on-red restored convertible has managed to somehow hold onto its whole original drivetrain and discretionary gear. A part of the Bloomington Gold Special Collection, it has been awarded the appropriate Bloomington Gold Certification; NCRS Top Flight rating; and the Duntov Mark of Excellence, along with the Chevy Vettefest Triple Crown. Most recently restored by Kevin Mackay, this rare example has been owned by noted Corvette collectors John Justo and, more recently, Irwin Kroiz.

marthannheil
marthannheil
10/30/20 12:53 p.m.

Car:  1931 Marmon SIXTEEN

Owner:  Arlene and Charles Kleptz

Proposed Class:  American Antique 1900-1931

Invited by:  Dayton Concours d'Elegance

Details:  There were 200 of these models built in 1931 - 50 had this particular body style.  The Marmon Company built cars in Indianapolis, Indiana from 1903-1933.  A Marmon Wasp won the first Indianapolis 500 Race in 1911, but the company came to be known more for their luxury cars than racing vehicles.  Some special features on this 16 cylinder engine include - 200 HP, 490 c.i., overhead valves, 2 barrel downdraft carburetor, crankcase ventilators and the engine is made of aluminum alloy and weighs only 930 pounds.  This Marmon has four wheel, cable operated, mechanical brakes and a three speed transmission synchronized in second and third gear.  This vehicle also has very unusual fenders with skirting front and rear such as they used on the 1932 models.  Only three other SIXTEEN Models with these fenders are know to still exist.  It also has two cigar lighters (front and back), fold down arm rests in both front and back, a split bench front seat, a moveable driver's seat and a tilt steering wheel.  This Marmon was found in Connecticut although it spent most of its life prior to our ownership in California.  It came with a 1941 CA license plate (the last year it was driven) and the engine was in pieces in a basket.  All mechanical and body restoration were personally done by Charles Kleptz.  Paint and upholstery wwere done by D&D Restoration in Covington, Ohio.  This Marmon is one of only three still in existence of this year and model, according to the records of The Marmon Club.  The last three pictures show the condition the car was in when we purchased it.  Invited by the Dayton Concours d'Elegance.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/30/20 12:54 p.m.

Car: 1956 Buick Century X

Owner(s): Steve Plunkett

Proposed Class(es): American Antique (1949-1969)

Details:

https://www.historicvehicle.org/an-evening-with-the-1956x-buick-century/

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/CENTURY--X---BILL-MITCHELL-S--SPECIAL-ORDER--FACTORY-CUSTOM-BUICK-JOINS-THE-AMELIA-S-CARS-OF-HARLEY-EARL-CLASS.html?soid=1102686630936&aid=od511SX9Y2E

Jacksonville, FL - Buick’s unique and obscure Century X styling department custom will make its international concours debut in the Silver Anniversary Amelia Concours d’Elegance’s Cars of Harley Earl class on March 8, 2020.

Bill Mitchell was Harley Earl’s hand-picked successor at GM Design and Styling. Their association seemed to go beyond the standard boss-employee dynamic. Many called it a father-son relationship.

Mitchell was just 23 when Earl appointed him chief designer of Cadillac. His design of the 1938 Cadillac 60 Special was a landmark. But Mitchell was a “Buick man” long before he became a man. His father was a Pennsylvania Buick dealer, and despite being the design prodigy given the reins of the Corporation’s premier car division and style leader, Mitchell ached to draw Buicks.

Few were surprised when, on May 1, 1953, Mitchell left Earl’s private design firm -- Harley Earl Corp. -- returning to GM becoming General Motors Director of Styling.

Mitchell drove over 50 “personalized” vehicles during his GM career and was best known for his love of Corvettes and Camaros. But his heart belonged to Buick and three years after returning to GM he created the factory custom Buick Century X. It wasn’t a landmark dream car like Earl’s Buick Y-Job or the 1951 GM Le Sabre, but a modified production car-- “special order 90022” -- a true factory custom.Buick show cars were the glamour models of the Corporation. Much was expected from the Century X. Buick delivered . Mitchell’s 225 changes were more subtle than startling, hardly the usual fare for a GM “dream car” of the fifties. Dual side exhausts exited through the rocker panels requiring holes cut in the frame with plates welded around the orifices for added strength. Century X also wore twin telescoping power headrests, Skylark-style wire wheels, Mitchell’s signature red chassis, and a tachometer. Chrome accelerator and brake pedal trim told anyone who knew the design section’s secret internal language that this was indeed Bill Mitchell’s car.

Being a racer at heart and taking a page from his mentor’s corporate playbook, Mitchell had the Century X driven to Elkhart Lake, WI for the Road America races in 1956. His timing was good. A new V-8 Corvette -- another Mitchell favorite -- defeated a throng of Jaguars to notch the mighty V-8 Corvette’s first victory at Road America. Mitchell spent race weekend cruising around the resort village much as Harley Earl had done at Watkins Glen during 1951 Grand Prix week with the Le Sabre dream car.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/30/20 12:59 p.m.

Car: 1936 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Binder Sedanca de Ville

Owner(s): Andrew Davidson,

Proposed Class(es): European Coachwork (pre war)

Representing: Cobble Beach Concours d’ Elegance

Details:

This car is one of two Phantom III Sedanca de Villes produced by the coachbuilder Henry Binder of Paris, France. Binder also produced two of the six Bugatti Royales ever built. This car has a V-12 with 24 spark plugs; an on-board jacking system; and an advanced mechanical braking system with servos giving equal braking to each wheel. Notable owners include the Marquis De Villeroi; and King Karel of Romania. There were just over 620 Phantom IIIs produced between 1935 until 1939, when production ceased at the beginning of the Second World War. The Phantom III was considered the pinnacle of refinement and luxury, as Rolls-Royce cars still are today.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/30/20 1:44 p.m.

1967 Mazda Cosmo Sport 110S  L10A Series 1, 1 of 343

Owners:  Carson and Helen Chen

Foster City, California

Representing the Coyote Creek Concours

Proposed Class: Sports & GT Cars (1960-1969)

The Story of my Cosmo Sport Series 1 begins with Jason, my son.  We wanted to do a Father & Son project and brainstormed about many cars he was interested in.  Jason ultimately chose a 1994 RX7 FD Series 3.  Together, sorting out the car and rebuilding many components for safety and reliability, I became fascinated with its truly ingenious rotary engine.  So, I went in search back to the beginning.  The first two-rotor engine in automotive history, the Cosmo Sport first introduced at the 1965 Tokyo Motor Show.  From this beginning, this revolutionary rotary engine dominated the later decades of the twentieth century winning championships in IMSA GTU and GTO classes, drag racing championships and ultimately the 24 Hours of LeMans, 1991 1st Place Overall Championship Winner with a four rotor 787B race car.

I was hooked, and so began a world wide journey and hunt for and ultimate stewardship of this car, 1 of 343 Series 1 Cosmo Sport 110s produced.  Only a tiny number came to the USA, many o them in the very recent past as their significance is better understood.  In the 1960s, Mazda wanted global recognition so they chose the name Cosmo to celebrate the Space Race and ‘forward thinking.’  This L10A Series 1 is powered by a 982cc 2-rotor motor, with licensing rights bought from NSU of Austria who employed the two engine developers, Felix Wankel, original inventor, and Hanns Dieter Paschke.   Mazda was not alone in buying licenses, AMC, GM, Ford, Mercedes, Nissan, Porsche, Citroen and Rolls Royce were among the others.  Producing 110 horsepower, hence the name 110s, the car was quite an achievement producing a remarkable benchmark of over 100hp per liter, in 1967.

Mosky1
Mosky1
10/30/20 2:39 p.m.

1960 Allard Palm Beach Mark 2

Mark Moskowitz

Gastonia, North Carolina

Preservation Class

My Allard had rested in a Maryland garage since 1986, a victim of a de-toothed flywheel. Original to Allard’s Ray May (Sydney’s designate to found the Allard Owners Club), it had been campaigned in multiple British hillclimb events as part of Team Allard. The chassis has been protected by Ziebart (purposefully not removed) , the seats by clear vinyl. This, the penultimate Allard factory creation, boasts a heater, an XK 140 competition powerplant and a torsion bar front suspension. The bottom end, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, brake system and all suspension bushings have been refurbished. All else on this 12,555 original mile Allard including paint and minor dents has been preserved. First drive: one week ago!

My participation was invited by the Cincinnati Conours.

FarlandClassicRestoration
FarlandClassicRestoration New Reader
10/30/20 3:04 p.m.

Car: 1979 Porsche 928

Owners: Farland Classic Restoration

Proposed Classes: Porsche & Sports and GT Cars (1970-1980)

Details: This Porsche 928 has spent its entire life in Denver, Colorado. It was sold new in Denver in 1979 and the first owner kept the vehicle garaged until 2014. Included with the vehicle are service records going back to 1980. This 928 participated in the inaugural Porsche Club of America’s Concours D’elegance of the Rocky Mountain Region in 1984.

This car has never left the state of Colorado and currently shows just over 38,000 miles. The 928 is completely original including the paint and shows virtually no scratches or chips. The 16” wheels, Blaupunkt radio, and full tool kit help to make this Porsche a perfect time capsule of 1979.

FarlandClassicRestoration
FarlandClassicRestoration New Reader
10/30/20 3:11 p.m.

Car: 1992 Ferrari 348ts

Owners: Farland Classic Restoration

Proposed Classes: Cars of the 80’s and 90’s

Details: Rosso Corsa exterior, tan interior and a dogleg 5-speed. This 348ts checks all the boxes. This Ferrari spent most of its life in Northern California until three years ago when it was given a new home in New Mexico. Included with the vehicle are multiple years’ service records and a car cover.

With pop-up headlights, a removeable top and sliding seatbelts it checks off many of the 90’s quirky car requirements. In the past 3K miles the vehicle has had a new clutch put in and a full cam belt service was done last year. 

kairiebetz
kairiebetz New Reader
10/30/20 3:14 p.m.

Car: 1955 Porsche 550 - 1500RS "Spyder"

Owner: Kai Riebetz

Proposed Class: Sports & GT Cars 1946 - 1959

Details: This Porsche 550 was competly restored to its original condition over a 5 year period. It is with our family in the second generation. The car has a valid FIA Historic Technical Passport (HTP), multiple appraisals and is listed in the official international 550 registry. Believed to be the only road registered 550 Spyder in Canada.

This car was invited to participate the Concours d'Cancelation representing Cobble Beach Concours d'Elegance. It is also invited to be displayed at Cobble Beach Concours d'Elegance 2021.

socal210
socal210 New Reader
10/30/20 3:19 p.m.

Car: 1994 Mercedes-Benz E320 Cabriolet

Owner: Arman Sezenol

Proposed Class: Mercedes

Details: My father found this car posted on craigslist and tried to make contact, the seller did not respond for over a year. He coordinated the deal and we secured the car a year later in 2014. Unfortunately the previous owner who acquired the car in the late 90s as the 2nd owner lost interest in the car and there were many issues with it all around. I was developing a great interest in this period’s tuner AMG. I started collecting as many parts as I could find. I started to restore the car mechanically about a year ago and also reconditioned the AMG body pieces as well which I added on.

https://youtu.be/x5tVb0zwOEo

Mosky1
Mosky1 New Reader
10/30/20 3:40 p.m.

1961 Ford Galaxie Sunliner

Mark Moskowitz

Gastonia, NC

American Antique 1949-1969 or American Muscle

I am the third owner of this 1961 Ford Galaxie Sunliner. The car sports a Borg Warner T-10 and a 390 c.i. powerplant with the original three deuces, factory competition headers and factory dual point ignition. ts first owner campaigned it on the dragstrips of New Jersey https://youtu.be/pEhq3vOEfE and claimed a brief stint as an NHRA record holder. He and wife Peggy were reunited with the convertible at the Pinehurst Concours and shared the inscription in the glovebox placed during their honeymoon in 1961. The car can be seen at shows, on rallies and on Carolina roads.

B3
B3
10/30/20 4:23 p.m.

Car:

1934 MG NA (BLL 492)

Chassis #: NA 0634 / Engine #: MG 887 AN

Owner:

Brenda B Benzar

Cincinnati. OH

Proposed Classes:

Race Cars (Prewar) and Sports Cars (Prewar)

Details:

BLL 492 custom built on a bodiless NA chassis by brilliant engineer & ace race mechanic Wilkie Wilkinson for owner Doreen Evans, one of the most noted female rally drivers of the time. 1 of 3 Trials/Rally Specials built for the Evan’s family, Doreen’s car proved successful for her in the 1934 & 1935 rally season, including a first class award in the 1935 R.A.C. Rally in Eastbourne, England.

Six cylinder, 120hp, supercharged, tuned to deliver extra power, utilizes a lightweight, doorless aluminum body & sparse interior, features an ENV preselector 4 speed gearbox – a predecessor to the automatic transmission.

bhazard
bhazard
10/30/20 4:32 p.m.

Car: 1973 BMW 2002

Owner:  Bruce Hazard

Classes:  Cars of Main Street, BMW

Details:  While stationed with the Army in Germany I purchased this 1973 BMW 2002 and took delivery in November 1972. In the beginning it was just transportation, however, it quickly became much more. Over the next 17 years and 330,000 miles I traveled across Europe from England to Italy and to all corners of the US. It was soon modified to compete in motorsports events like autocrosses and high performance driving events at many tracks across the US. In 1990 it was retired and stored for 24 years. In 2016 I completed a 2 ½ year doing most of the work myself. Since then it has been shown at several local events as well as being featured in the BMW CCA Foundation ICON exhibit in 2018.

Bumbersdad
Bumbersdad New Reader
10/30/20 4:40 p.m.

1967 MG 1100

Owned by Allan (Russ) Russell

Layton UT

Sports and GT cars 1960-1969

My Son is a dealer. He purchased the car at the auto auction. He decided that it wasn't the car for him, and sold it to me. I remains work in progress, but it has won several awards in the few shows that have taken place this year. It creates sensation every time I take it out. The biggest surprise is the supercharger under the hood.

Citizen_Rich
Citizen_Rich New Reader
10/30/20 4:49 p.m.

Car: 1986 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS (replica)

Owner: Richard Doughty

Proposed Class: Cars of the 80's & 90's

Info:

I found this car for sale in Vancouver in late 2012. I had always wanted a Sierra Cosworth with the YB engine and, though not a real Sierra Cosworth, this was as close as I could get without spending a fair sum. The car was painted black at the time of purchase and was not in the best shape. The story as I understood it was that an older gentleman had moved to Western Canada from the UK some time in the early 2000’s and brought his beloved but tired Sierra Cosworth with him. He drove it for some time and ended up in an accident which totaled the car. We managed to source a clean ’86 Merkur XR4Ti and had as much of the original Cosworth RS parts swapped over, this included most of the aero bits and the drivetrain. Being a rather tired doner, the engine needed a rebuild and rather than continue dealing with the project the gentleman sold the car to a young man who didn’t really know what he was getting into, and that’s how I end up the new owner.

Being a pathologic tinkerer, and having dealt with the issues of modifying a “classic” during my Porsche owning days, I decided to have some fun with the freedom this project provided. With the help of Hahn Restorations in Harmony PA, I started the work of transforming the car into my 80’s/90’s dream Cossie. Hahn handled all of the body and paint work including modifying the rear quarter metal to accommodate real Sierra glass. I rebuilt and upgraded everything else myself including the YB engine to about 380-400hp spec. Though not a full Sierra Cosworth, it’s at least 95% there without any of the preservation hang-ups (the UK Cossie fans HATE the colour!) and I still have the freedom to tinker. It’s honestly been the most fun and rewarding project in my 30+ years of building cars.

Marilyn
Marilyn New Reader
10/30/20 5:02 p.m.

1955 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Owner: John Adams 

Lake Oswego OR 

American Antique  1949 - 1969

This Coupe De Ville was built at GM’s Clark Street Cadillac plant on February 7, 1955. A perfect example of “Detroit Iron”, she was sold new at Menasco Motors in Grants Pass Oregon to Charlie Patton, a local lumber mill owner. Ownership passed to his son Lowell in the mid 1960's. It went off the road in the mid 1990's and was stored in an unused lumber mill building, eventually becoming a "mouse hotel." It became a "barn find" in 2011 and was removed to new co-owner's home, John Adams.

He began a full frame off nut and bolt restoration of this numbers matching Cadillac taking just over 7 years to complete. Named “Marilyn” during the restoration process to honor the epitome of 1950’s glamor, style and “cool”.

1955 Cadillac

Lowpad
Lowpad New Reader
10/30/20 5:15 p.m.
Car: 1928 Packard Model 443 Roadster and 1930 Curtiss Aerocar Travel Trailer

Owner: Paul Tacy

Class: Preservation

Glenn Hammond Curtiss (1878 – 1930) was an American aviation and motorcycling pioneer, and a founder of the U.S. aircraft industry.  He made the first officially witnessed flight in North America, won a race at the world's first international air meet in France, and made the first long-distance flight in the United States.  Less well known is Curtiss' role in promoting personal travel and helping to spawn what would eventually become the recreational vehicle industry.  As part of the "Social Distancing -- at a Distance" class at this year's Lime Rock Sunday in the Park Concours, we were excited to present the Tacy Family's 1930 Curtiss Aerocar Camper trailer.  Constructed with a wood frame and wrapped in an oil cloth material, it is the only one known to exist in this configuration.  A true barn find, Tacy's father purchased it in 1982 out of a barn in Albany, where several trees had to be removed before the Aerocar could be extricated.  Presaging the fifth-wheel trailers that are common today, the Aerocar was hooked up to another barn find, a 1928 Packard Model 443 Roadster once owned by John Hawkinson “Hawkeye” that's outfitted with a Curtiss factory-built fifth wheel, similar to a tractor-trailer, located in the rumble seat area.

The Aerocar is 18 feet long with a sleek aero design.  There is small kitchen equipped with a stove, icebox, gravity feed water, sink, and cabinets.  The living area has the ability to be used as a sitting, sleeping and eating area.  The windows crank down for a nice breeze; screens can also be pulled down. There is also a 2-way intercom system allowing the driver to communicate with those in the camping trailer.  The Tacys are multi-generation Packard enthusiasts -- and Packards and Barnfinds are a family affair!

This car and trailer won the "Social Distancing -- at a Distance" class at the 2020 Lime Rock Sunday in the Park Concours.

JEFFERY WONG
JEFFERY WONG
10/30/20 5:42 p.m.

Car: 1986 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

Owners:  Jeffery Wong

Proposed Class:  Mercedes

Details:  This 1986 Mercedes-Benz was purchased with the original intention to build a track car, however, as work progressed on the paint, suspension, and interior, it became a full restoration. The car was painted in Obsidian Black (DB197) and the sunroof was removed with factory slick top sheet metal. Several other 16Vs were purchased and parted to provide original parts that have become NLA and the best possible interior. Modifications and changes include larger front and rear calipers from the R129, Koni adjustable shocks with rear SLS delete, full custom exhaust including the header, radio and AC delete, Wavtrac LSD, and more.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y3rnX3ulcuN6UDF5IBtpagzobrkleBborJVG8S6h76Rq7im7r54eIXyp3XY1XQIx