This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get access to our full digital archive, by subscribing to Classic Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Photo Courtesy Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

When Fiat delivered the all-ne…

Read the rest of the story

Gattopazzo
Gattopazzo
1/2/19 4:36 p.m.

With Fiat putting a 2.4 litre motor into the 500 SUV with 180 horse power, how long will I have to wait for it to show up under the hood of the Abarth?

jfknupp
jfknupp
1/2/19 4:37 p.m.

Can you make a comment on the 500 Abarth reliability--usually an oxymoron for a Fiat?

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
1/2/19 6:33 p.m.

In reply to jfknupp :

That really needs to die.  It's tired and just inaccurate.  Yet here in the 21st century people keep parroting it. 

Thudhammer
Thudhammer None
1/2/19 7:04 p.m.

I obtained a 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth from the estate of a good friend who died suddenly. Sadly he hadn't owned the car very long. He bought a standard 500 with 100 hp but found it lacking in power. When the Abarth was announced he was back at his Fiat dealer. He ordered it in red (naturally) with the upgraded wheels and sunroof. When he died the car had only about 13,000 miles after nearly three years. I drove it quite a bit and had planned to let me wife drive it. Though she enjoyed driving it she determined it to be too small. But when I went to get the car insured reality came into full view! WOW! Insurance on these cars is savage! When I inquire as to why my insurance rep said it was due to the expense of repair parts and shop repair time. I inspected the bottom the car and discovered some creative packaging. Clearly any moderate damage would result in some real expensive repairs. I eventually sold the car. It was fun to drive. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/3/19 12:50 p.m.
Gattopazzo said:

With Fiat putting a 2.4 litre motor into the 500 SUV with 180 horse power, how long will I have to wait for it to show up under the hood of the Abarth?

It seems the 500L and 500X are 500s in name only, and don't share platforms. Not sure how much that rules out somebody trying it anyway.

bullmanuga
bullmanuga New Reader
1/6/19 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Thudhammer :

The insurance for my Abarth is twice as much per month as my wife's Colorado. Also, it spent 2 of 12 months in 2017 immobile at the body shop as they waited on parts after an accident. Other than that it's been worry free, that is, after I replaced the stock coilpacks with Bosch units from the Alfa 4C.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yv0Iww1Ooqdx7Goqi4C9AQho9CCbGtrrpyYqTDcr1WK4ic4pFTBxHDKqDrJBlPIY