1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/08 12:26 p.m.

You totally didn't hear it from me, but a Fiat might be joining the Classic Motorsports family.

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon New Reader
8/5/08 12:54 p.m.

Do tell, we all are dying to know...

David S. Wallens
8/5/08 1:08 p.m.

I know, I'm a tease. The car comes home tonight. Tell you what, first person to guess the model wins a Classic Motorsports T-shirt. One guess per person. (And just to be upfront, the car is already in really good shape so it won't be a project car; it will be part of the family, however.)

WilD
WilD Reader
8/5/08 1:17 p.m.

Guessing with no hints?

850 Spider

rconlon
rconlon Reader
8/5/08 1:35 p.m.

It would be too easy if it was a 124 Spider so my guess is a Fiat 600 since the 850 is taken.

Cheers Ron

Gary
Gary Reader
8/5/08 1:39 p.m.

Is it a vintage Cinquecento (chink-a-chento), a.k.a. FIAT 500?

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
8/5/08 1:43 p.m.

I know what it is because I'm the one who bought it and am picking it up tonight.

Hint: Bigger than a breadbox

--Carl

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/5/08 2:36 p.m.

BRAVA!

The car that makes a Milano look graceful!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
8/5/08 4:14 p.m.

850 Racer

SpidArman
SpidArman None
8/5/08 4:14 p.m.

An X19 !

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/5/08 5:26 p.m.

Carl bought a Fiat Dino. It's the only one bigger than a breadbox.

Luke
Luke Dork
8/6/08 2:32 a.m.

A 124 Sport (coupe)?

Rupunzell
Rupunzell New Reader
8/6/08 10:21 a.m.

I'm guess a front engine, rear drive FIAT, like a 124 something or a rear engine FIAT like a 500, 600, 850. Least likely would be an X1/9 or Lancia Scorpiacarlo. Even less likely would be a Lancia Beta.

The real question is, why a FIAT now and what will CMS do with it?

David S. Wallens
8/6/08 10:36 a.m.

As for the why, this person has actually been looking for a good example of this model for quite a while. (I almost bought one like it a few years ago, and Carl was nice enough to inspect it for me.) The right car just happened to come along recently.

The what? We're not committing to much right now. We're already a little backed up on project cars, but I'm sure it will still show up in the magazine.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
8/6/08 12:58 p.m.

David:

It is a good example so immediate restoration may not be necessary. It might make a fun series of short stories to do a rolling/driving restoration. I bet a lot of us have done this as I have and more will.

Cheers Ron

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
8/6/08 1:13 p.m.

Fiat 128

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
8/6/08 4:30 p.m.

Well, the Fiat folks already don't like the magazine and believe it is still a British only mag.

So, if you do more Fiat/Italian articles/projects the British guys might get unhappy about the lack of coverage.

If you continue with the British bent, the Fiat folks will continue to be unhappy.

Either way, you're kinda screwed as it seems the Fiat folks want a magazine dedicated only to them. While the British folks are just happy to be out enjoying the cars (or enjoying working on them and knowing they aren't the only ones feeling that pain)

Still, good luck with the project!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w Dork
8/6/08 5:56 p.m.

Yay! More Fiats.

I'm less than 2 months into my first (81 X1/9) and am loving it.

I hope it is an X1/9. But I think it is either a 124 Coupe or maybe a 130.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
8/6/08 9:02 p.m.

If you look at my avatar, you'll find a big hint...

Rupunzell
Rupunzell New Reader
8/7/08 12:56 a.m.

Why should CMS cater to Italian or other car folks? Just look at who supports this magazine, their advertisers and what the staff at CMS owns, drives and their car ownership history... That is where one will find the answer to this question. It's all a matter of producing a "good read" and what keeps the doors open at CMS.

Luke
Luke Dork
8/7/08 2:17 a.m.

Thought you said it was bigger than a breadbox

That looks a lot like a 500.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/7/08 5:33 a.m.

"Either way, you're kinda screwed as it seems the Fiat folks want a magazine dedicated only to them. While the British folks are just happy to be out enjoying the cars (or enjoying working on them and knowing they aren't the only ones feeling that pain)"

I don't know what wacko Fiat community you are in, but I've never received that impression from any but maybe one or two of my Fiat friends. We feel CMS has given fair and frequent coverage of Fiats.

The avatar is a Fiat 600. I think.

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon New Reader
8/7/08 6:48 a.m.

Looks like a Fiat 500 to me. Brett

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
8/7/08 9:31 a.m.

The pic is small, but its not 600 I don't think, either 500 or the Abarth alternative, a 595 is it?

rconlon
rconlon Reader
8/7/08 9:47 a.m.

The avatar makes me think of the Fiat 126.

Cheers Ron

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
51w41TN9O6C2vajddksT3LgEkrQave9GhuzxC9bWo0lMQfCSa6gSd8zaXnMgnVLu