1 2 3
Rev.Bubba
Rev.Bubba New Reader
8/7/08 2:58 p.m.

There is no doubt in my mind that that motor is an air cooled 2 cylinder used in the 500 and 126. Either way, it will be loads of fun.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out what these guys are doing.

126group2

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/7/08 3:23 p.m.

Yeah, I think 500 may actually be right. The avatar is tiny, but what I can see of the intake and exhaust plumbing it isn't a 600.

Gary
Gary Reader
8/7/08 4:19 p.m.

Couldn't be a 500, otherwise David would have ended the contest and sent me the T-shirt on Tuesday.

(BTW, what was the funky family hauler that had the 600cc engine and looked like a stretched Cinquecento? Multiplex or Multipla or Moltobuono or something like that?)

rconlon
rconlon Reader
8/7/08 4:47 p.m.

Gary: Multipla... the original minivan that sat 6. The seats were padded lawn chairs that folded flat to the floor for hauling stuff. It is still made but more modern.

Ron

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
8/7/08 4:53 p.m.

This one:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1211049264/Well%2C+the+verdict+is+in...

Specifically they got so heated, I left the site for a while due to their attitude. These are the same people who, many have either not payed attention to CMS or have now sworn it off completely.

BTW:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1208699886/Damning+with+faint+praise..

http://www.network54.com/Forum/366698/message/1217504531/More+X1-9+Classic+Motorsports+fun...check+it+out

I think you guys are doing a good job, and I understand that there are more British car owners and that the number of vendors for British cars are much larger than the ones specializing in Italian vehicles. Fiats and other Italian cars (outside of the ultra-high end) will generally play second fiddle to the comparable British cars.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/7/08 6:15 p.m.

Oh yeah, I knew that I forgot something. Gary wins.

As far as keeping the mix happy, believe me when I say we try to keep the balance fair. Still, we know that it's impossible to make everyone happy. The MG guys are going to want more MG editorial, the Triumph guys will want more Triumph editorial, and the Fiat guys will want more Fiat editorial. I have lost much sleep over it. On the other hand, we're always willing to listen to our readers.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/7/08 6:23 p.m.

And truth be told, we're into all kind of cars here. Look at what we own. Yes, we have more than a few Triumphs, but the extended fleet includes a ton of variety: MGs, Model A Fords, Hondas, Acuras, BMWs, Toyotas, Mazdas, Miatas, Minis new and old, VW Bugs, Saabs, Neons, Subarus, the Ranchero, a Corvair, the 240Z and now a Fiat. We even have an AMC Eagle here. Tim has been threatening to buy a Porsche, and Andy almost bought that Ferrari. I'm thinking an Alfa or Fiat Spider would probably be the next thing to join our fleet.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/7/08 8:44 p.m.

I know a Fiat would be high on my list, and probably more likely than the Matra Djet I keep daydreaming about.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/7/08 9:43 p.m.

Many of you know that I was into Fiats for over 20 years before buying a less reliable and poorly built British car. I think ANY press Fiats get that isn't negative and filled with moronic Tony jokes is a wonderful thing. CMS does a fine job of maintaining a balance, though I am irritated we are not getting more Corvair coverage...c'mon already.

Those knuckleheads over on X-web do not represent the Fiat community I am familiar with. Keep up the good work. Just get Per to stop buying Saabs.

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
8/8/08 8:46 a.m.

I do think the X1/9 article could have stood on its own. Wrapping it into an joint article with a period exotic is a bit odd.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
8/8/08 9:41 a.m.

Okay, now that it's out of the bag, I'll tell you a bit more.

As David said, I've casually been looking for one of these for 5-6 years. Fortunately, these cars aren't too expensive when they're in good shape. So I didn't want a project car, I wanted the nicest one I could find (the difference in price between projects and nice cars isn't too much).

This car appears to be a fairly low-milage car (shows 55K KM) and was "restored in Italy in 1995 by a FIAT technician." I don't know if was restored or just repainted, but it's well detailed and mechanically nearly perfect. The paint has a few bubbling issues, but the issues are due to adhesion, not rust. I'm the first person to title it in the US, which was a mini adventure.

I love fast cars and underpowered cars and this car is the epitome of underpowered. If a Lotus 7 clone is a four wheeled motorcycle, a 500 is a four wheeled moped.

--Carl

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
8/8/08 10:13 a.m.

It's a nice looking car. There was a point when finding a nice 500 or 600 was almost impossible. When I bought my 600, it was one of maybe a handful even for sale in the US that I could find, and of course before Ebay.

500's get great fuel mileage, you can park them anywhere, and they always draw a crowd where ever you go. My 600 was parked between a Ferrari 308 and an Atlantic at a car show once, and like 10 to 1 people were all over the Fiat. It's amazing the kind of attention they draw.

As to the mix in CM, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's pretty good the way it is, and of course you can't please any of the diehard marque people short of a marque magazine, no matter what preference. Personally I like all kinds of cars, and enjoy reading about cars other than what I have. Keep up the good work!

And Mr. Baxter, you have to be in a very small majority to even know what a Matra Djet is. They're very cool, but finding one might prove tough. I've only seen a few in the flesh, and their owners had no intention of selling their cars they were so dedicated to them!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/8/08 10:37 a.m.

Maybe. I suppose I could settle for an Alpine A110.

Rev.Bubba
Rev.Bubba New Reader
8/8/08 1:51 p.m.

Congrats on the 500L that you got. Mine is a 1971. They are the best Fiat to have. Until I got this car I could never get a pretty girl to approach me. Now they do. I can't say that my wife likes that but oh, well.

Brett Melancon
Brett Melancon New Reader
8/8/08 1:53 p.m.

Hey Dwight, what's wrong with the knuckleheads over at X-web? Not sure how to take that one so I will take it as a complement.

They are mostly a good group and very enthusiastic about the X1/9. You are correct, most of the folks over there don't really identify with Fiat as a marque but more the X as a car. Anyway...

Rupunzell
Rupunzell New Reader
8/8/08 10:59 p.m.

Getting ready for FIAT's alleged return to the US market? That FIAT 500 will make a good story and has promo value if FIAT really does return to the US market. You have played your automotive media cards well.. This should be a good read, just like BMW might bring back the Triumph brand to the automotive market.

Rupunzell
Rupunzell New Reader
8/8/08 11:05 p.m.

FIAT spyder = Mazda Miata, why bother? It's another front engine, rear drive convertible two seater.

Looks like you folks have a serious bent towards front engine, rear drive cars and are not interested in other layouts including a rear engine Porsche, mid engine.... other two seaters. Or even a SAAB sonnet, the new Lotus Elan which are front wheel drive two seaters.

There is far more to the automotive world than front engine, rear drive. This is beginning to sound like Enzo Farrari who believe the engine should always be in the front of the car, like a horse pulling a carriage.

Rupunzell
Rupunzell New Reader
8/8/08 11:13 p.m.

Alpine A110, why not an A130 or even an A310?

Yes, the French made two seaters.. Including interesting ones like the Renault R5 turbo and turbo 2.

Don't forget, Renault has a race driver development program that helps talented race car drivers towards the seat in a F1 car.

Some US folks have a bent against the French. The French finally discovered a way to sell their cars in the US market, Nissan.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/9/08 5:48 a.m.

"I love fast cars and underpowered cars and this car is the epitome of underpowered." Hey Carl, did you forget about the Subaru 360? It's even less of a useful car than the 500.

Brett, I meant the knuckleheads in the anti CMS threads. You, I have no problem with. Mostly.

Rupunzell, I don't get your (multiple) posts. By your argument, CMS shouldn't cover MGs, Triumphs, Fiat Spiders or any other rwd car. Don't grasp that logic.

I have seen and been in a new 500. It's a very impressive car, and a worthy alternative to the MINI.

The French...first, what French cars badged as Nissans are being sold in the US? Second, I think French cars would still enjoy the utter lack of success they had previously. They are simply too oddball for most American consumers. The styling is peculiar, and if they are still putting them together like the old R5 nobody will want to work on them, either. I think the only brand that would have a prayer here would be Peugeot, and even they couldn't figure out our market. The 405 was a decent car, but they could never figure out how to sell them.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
8/9/08 6:41 a.m.

"...first, what French cars badged as Nissans are being sold in the US?"

Nissan Versa (based on Renault Mégane)

That is a lovely FIAT. I've enjoyed the stuff about the Midget and Miata-powered MGB. Many years ago, before the Brit-cars took over my soul, I had an Autobianchini.

Hope to see some good stuff about this little car.

Mi piace davvero!

Also, let's have more Bulgarian cars in the magazine!

Brett Melancon
8/11/08 7:16 a.m.

I will have a 2008 Fiat 500 in my possession soon (bout 10 days). I plan to take this car and show it too everyone who is willing to look at it. This would make a great old vs new comparison. I can arrange a comparison between the old 500 and the new one if anyone wants to see it. Contact CMS if you would like to see a real road test between an old 500 and a modern one. All it will take is some interest to make it happen, I will provide the cars and maybe even be able to facilitate some track time. Imagine that, a Fiat 500 on the track.

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
8/11/08 9:29 a.m.

Sounds cool. I was on vacation when the 500 drove thru the LA area. Another article is better than nothing.

Rev.Bubba
Rev.Bubba New Reader
8/11/08 1:21 p.m.

Brett,

Can you enlighten me as to how you are getting the new 500 over. I would love to have one to match with my 500 also. I was looking into the import regulations but was not sure.

Cheers, Rev

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/11/08 3:43 p.m.

It's here on a visa for the owner to 'vacation'. It won't be staying. Not legal to import in any way, shape or form I'm afraid.

Brett Melancon
8/12/08 6:58 a.m.

Not entirely true. It may be staying, legally too I might add.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hCniPE4ALzehY3aUxj5Z6BF9cgbFh2gedBRAp9AgMevcg07XbMjuFM2Yfl5ta3Xt