1 2
Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/9/11 1:51 p.m.

Editorial Position Available

Motorsport Marketing, Inc., an equal opportunity employer based in the Daytona Beach, Fla. area, is searching for an editorial person for their magazine titles Grassroots Motorsports and Classic Motorsports. This is a full-time, in-house position with room for advancement. Candidates should have a degree in journalism, communications, English, public relations or closely related field of study; photography skills are a plus, and equivalent experience will be considered. Competitive salary based on experience and ability.

If you are passionate and knowledgeable about the written word, can grab a reader’s interest and effectively communicate those feelings, and are looking for a dynamic, creative workplace, this is what we need from you:

1. A one-page letter about yourself and why you would be the right person for this job.
  2. An up-to-date resumé.
  3. Three references (with phone numbers and email addresses).
  4. A 300-word sample of your writing.
  5. Salary requirements.

To be considered, you must send the above to: employment@grassrootsmotorsports.com before April 1, 2011. We will notify respondents by email before April 15th, 2011. Please note that all correspondence must use this email address; Motorsport Marketing will not accept calls or emails to other addresses about this job position from potential applicants.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/9/11 5:38 p.m.

Boy that would be fun, but hard work indeed.

GSCReno
GSCReno Reader
3/9/11 11:15 p.m.

This post IS a joke, right? A degree in journalism, communications, etc.? What, aerospace engineering grads don't want any of this? And I thought those guys from Vermont were full of themselves... Please. Cheers, Scott

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/10/11 5:54 a.m.

Nope, no joke—I know it sounds strange, but a large part of the magazine business focuses on the written word and communicating ideas effectively.

GSCReno
GSCReno Reader
3/10/11 9:07 a.m.

Point taken,Per. Here's a radical idea. Fill your opening with a car guy. Give him Spellcheck and a high quality camera and turn him loose. Cheers, Scott

lasttr
lasttr New Reader
3/10/11 11:28 a.m.

Scott,

The two aren't mutually exclusive. There are car guys who can write, and there are car guys who can't. There's more to putting out a magazine than writing, and Spellcheck doesn't make a writer or an editor. I'm a car guy and I've written technical documents for work and articles for club newsletters, but I would be in way over my head trying to produce a magazine. I suspect Per and the gang will find an editor who is a car guy as well. They've done a great job with the magazine so far.

Ken

Gary
Gary Reader
3/10/11 11:48 a.m.

I agree with Ken. There's more to good writing than Spellcheck could ever fix. And there's more to it than just knowing proper grammar too. But more importantly it's a professional career that will be demanding ... no doubt more than a 40 hour work week, no doubt weekends too, and grueling deadlines month after month after month. It's a heck of a lot more than a garage hobby and posting words on a forum.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/10/11 12:58 p.m.

Thanks for the votes of confidence and, yes, there's more involved than knowing how to hit option/equal. I'm sure the right person is out there somewhere.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
3/10/11 1:52 p.m.

I wish I could write...

This working for a living is vastly over-rated!

ronbros
ronbros Reader
3/10/11 2:16 p.m.

is it a new position,, or filling in for some one leaving the magazine?

David S. Wallens
3/10/11 2:38 p.m.

It's a new position. We're growing.

BrettM
BrettM Reader
3/10/11 8:59 p.m.

That would be a fun job. If you ever need help with the graphics part, let me know. Would be a fun gig.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/11/11 5:29 a.m.

Too bad it's in boring, flat, humid Florida. Kills it for me right there. Being able to taunt Per on a daily basis is almost incentive enough to overlook it though.

BrettM
BrettM Reader
3/11/11 6:52 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

Oh, I would not move back to FL, been there, done that. With the high speed internet what it is these days, it wouldn't be necessary to be at the same location for most of this work. East TN for me thanks.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/11/11 6:08 p.m.

No snow no go.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/12/11 6:09 a.m.
AndreGT6 wrote: No snow no go.

That's a seriously demented viewpoint coming from a classic car enthusiast.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/12/11 6:47 a.m.

For all my complaining and hate for snow/winter.

When the garage is setup correctly its 6 months of pure work time for me and the cars.

Still would be amazing to work for CM for sure, but with my current job I'm wearing a pair of nice golden handcuffs.

Series6
Series6 Reader
3/13/11 1:18 a.m.
GSCReno wrote: Point taken,Per. Here's a radical idea. Fill your opening with a car guy. Give him Spellcheck and a high quality camera and turn him loose. Cheers, Scott

I got the camera(s).

spnx
spnx New Reader
3/13/11 3:31 a.m.

Too bad it's in-house.

I have all of the qualifications. I also was an editor for eight years. Sounds like a dream job to me.

I hope you find someone good!

GSCReno
GSCReno Reader
3/23/11 2:14 a.m.

I meant no offense... Especially in Per's direction. Seriously Per, you are my idol ever since you did the Volvo 122s project a few years back. I only wish that I had your metal working skills. My point is that there are many on this very forum who have the communications skills to reach other car guys and do not have degrees from any university other than the college of experience. After all, isn't that where Tim developed the vision for these publications/forums that we all love so much? Cheers, Scott

David S. Wallens
3/28/11 12:35 p.m.

Don't forget, equivalent experience will be considered. We're not trying to be elitist, but we'd like to hire someone who already understands how publications go together.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
4/14/11 11:55 a.m.

Have you picked a candidate yet?

David S. Wallens
4/25/11 3:57 p.m.

We spoke to several excellent applicants and have filled the position. Soon he'll make his grand introduction. (He's still relocating and stuff.)

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
4/26/11 4:25 p.m.

Is he a board regular? Can we pick on him? Does he have a Miata? Just kidding, congrats to him, whoever he is!

David S. Wallens
4/26/11 8:20 p.m.

Seriously, yes, he does own a Miata.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E938BKdhyjPFnf4s0oQEGqf8t9BOnMlNFYCYTR8maKaOmolKFSIfbyx51nRL8vAo