Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
9/3/10 9:50 a.m.

I am about to begin the Aston DB7 trip from San Francisco to Chicago.

After getting the car last month I had some slight cooling issues while in Monterey and also found that the front wheels were bent. The car has been at a terrific garage called Elite Motors in San Ramon California for the last two weeks dealing with the cooling issues and a few other deferred service issues. I pick it up in a matter of hours and drive it all weekend around Monterey to make sure it is sorted.

I will be making blog entries on our blog with pictures documenting the trip. Hopefully it is uneventful and fun. Think positive thoughts! If all else fails I thankfully have both AAA and Hagerty Plus coverage.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau owner of very cool cars
9/3/10 10:49 a.m.

How does a modern car suffer from cooling issues or is it related to the bent wheels?

Still should be a wonderful road trip.

Are you going to track the fuel usage?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
9/3/10 11:05 a.m.

I can't say I wish you an uneventful trip. That would be boring.

I do hope all your events are good ones. Road trips are supposed to be fun!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/3/10 1:26 p.m.

007, you should really take Moneypenny with you. She's been so loyal.

Good luck Andy! I'll expect reports from plenty of "off the beaten path" type places. (ala Mars Cheese Castle)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
9/3/10 4:31 p.m.

Good luck Andy, glad you finally get to drive it for a proper distance!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
9/3/10 8:30 p.m.

ROAD TRIP!! Sounds exciting,an old british car with cooling issues and many miles to home! If you are killing time in Monterrey may I suggest the Steinbeck Museum in Salinas? John Steinbeck wrote a book called Travels with Charley that changed my outlook on traveling in a profound way.The museum has the truck Steinbeck traveled in and a bunch of other interesting stuff(if you like museums). the route from Monterey to Salinas should take you by Laguna Seca and you can have lunch at the house Steinbeck was raised in.But you will have to make reservations. I believe a proper send off is usually said Godspeed? Keep us posted on your proposed route and progress.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
9/3/10 9:38 p.m.

Oh shoot I forgot, hit Cannery row on a friday or saturday night. buy a cigar on the corner and watch the world go by!

milanoverde
milanoverde New Reader
9/7/10 6:43 p.m.

In reply to André Rousseau:

Where is your blog?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
9/8/10 10:25 a.m.

I just talked to Andy yesterday, and he's working on a blog post.

Let's say that the trip hasn't gone as planned, but that Andy is safe and warm.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
9/8/10 12:27 p.m.

Probably his first mistake was making a plan to begin with! Hopefully the Zen will kick in soon and he can get on with the adventure. Thinking happy thoughts, Oooohhmmm.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/8/10 2:55 p.m.

I just talked to Andy. He'll post an update this evening.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
9/9/10 8:40 a.m.

I am putting together a blog post on the car in the next day and will put the post link here.

I still love the car and am still keeping it but there have been issues and few have been the fault of the car.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
9/15/10 9:23 a.m.

Any link yet? I'm very curious to know what happened.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
9/15/10 11:32 p.m.

Victimized by the prince of darkness (Lucas?) Or simply enjoying Haight Ashbury?

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
9/21/10 12:00 p.m.

So here is the story of my DB7. It was easier to do a blog post with pics and not a simple message board post.

http://classicmotorsports.net/staff/andyr/aston-martin-db7-ownership-101/

Enjoy!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
9/21/10 12:18 p.m.

Ahh...I knew Andy would be piping in any minute now!

Thanks for the update, Andy.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
9/21/10 3:07 p.m.

Andy: What year and mileage? I am rather surprised that this car, a true exotic, seems to be so neglected. I believe they were purchased with good warranties and dealer support. That said, your first A M dealer did not inspire much confidence.

Cheers Ron

WilD
WilD HalfDork
9/21/10 4:13 p.m.

Is that DB7 a manual or automatic? I'm just curious. I would love to have one someday but I suspect the manual equipped cars are hard to find.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
9/21/10 9:25 p.m.

Ron, 1997 65,000 miles. The first owner was awesome, the second owner had the car for 2 1/2 years and 600 miles. I know that the battery boiled over when he used a standard battery charger on the car. They do not like that.

The other issues are just age related, the owner who had it before me was due to have some items serviced and opted to either do it cheaply or to blow it off completely. I figure the car is now worth a solid $30,000 which is a happy place to be. It is an amazing car.

The other two dealers I have worked with have been very nice and helpful.

The manual 6 cylinder cars are not the best choice but the Vantage models are. Mine has an automatic.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
9/22/10 9:01 a.m.

Andy: It shows to go ya that entrance into the exotics is affordable if you choose well and are willing to pay for the proper servicing.
Cheers Ron

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
9/23/10 7:49 a.m.

Agreed, I think you have to expect to spend a few thousand dollars whenever you buy any used exotic as that something has been neglected or missed on the car no matter what.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6c2eAZvmlwHtJEQwwGi9lgancWcYux2N87e5zSrgKPhCFP4u81iOlNIEpOWypZ49