2 3 4 5 6
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/22/09 7:33 a.m.

The bottom line is, it's in your hands. It's your vote. When you use it, any chance any one group has of gaming the system is eventually negated.

Series, I've definitely seen your car come up.

BrettM
BrettM Reader
6/22/09 8:52 a.m.

I am not sure why you feel that the system was "gamed"? When the contest started, I simply did what David suggested. This quote is from the original post 10 months ago...

"David S. Wallens Editorial Director said... Now that we have the readers rides featured on our message board, time to make it interesting. Who ever has the highest ranked car as of 5:00 pm Eastern time tomorrow wins a free Classic Motorsports T-shirt. Vote and vote often. Have friends? Get them to vote, too. It's a free country, right? "

I simply told my friends from some of the other forums. There was some voting down which was not cool but it was part of the system at the time so I guess it was to be expected. Please guys, don't get me wrong here, sometimes e-communication can be devoid of the emotion that is intended. I think that there is room for all of us on here.

Besides, we all know that controversy breeds interest, right? Let's keep it fun and pass on blaming any group for working the system. We played by the rules stated. Thanks-peace.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/22/09 9:19 a.m.

Gamed is probably too harsh. All you all did was organize and mobilize, which anyone COULD do.

My point in all of this is that the community decides which cars are top rated. If you feel a car is under-represented. Vote for it.

The more people use the system, the more useful and interesting it becomes.

The Readers' Rides over on the GRM site are a pretty good example. They vote a quite a bit over there, and if you look at the top rides, it's a pretty interesting cross-section: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/

I don't think Italian cars should hold 19 out of the top 20 spots... that excludes some pretty coole machines, like this one: http://classicmotorsports.net/reader-rides/611/

Or this one: http://classicmotorsports.net/reader-rides/603/

or this one: http://classicmotorsports.net/reader-rides/681/

Or this one: http://classicmotorsports.net/reader-rides/496/

But one can either be upset that the Fiats have so many votes, or vote for other things. I suggest the latter.

BrettM
BrettM Reader
6/22/09 9:29 a.m.

Thanks. I love the Celica that you made example of (voted for it). This can be motivation to others out there.

Series6
Series6 New Reader
6/22/09 10:53 a.m.

FYI-It is a propeller. That's documented. Prior to launching motorcycles in 1923, they built airplane engines. One of the treasured documents in the archives is a letter form Von Richoffen when we says the reason for his sucess was the superior engine they supplied. It was designed to breathe at 10,000 ft.

Blue and white are the colors of Bavaria. Black and gold are the colors of Munchen/Munich

Sownman
Sownman New Reader
6/22/09 1:23 p.m.

In reply to BrettM:

"Let's keep it fun and pass on blaming any group for working the system. We played by the rules stated. Thanks-peace."

19 of the top 20 cars ? 43 votes ? "Hey guys go over to this forum and everybody register and vote for every Fiat" Can anybody here actually imagine any single car of the several hundred with 2 or 3 votes every coming close to 43 votes no matter how cherry or rare ? I can but only with a scheme similar to what created the Fiat fiasco. It would of course be a result equally without merit.

Steve

BrettM
BrettM Reader
6/22/09 1:49 p.m.

All I can say is that I really wanted that t-shirt.

vtwelve
vtwelve New Reader
6/22/09 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Sownman: Maybe Sownman should get all of the Sunbeam enthusiasts to come along and vote, if he is so disenchanted with he Fiat-istas turnout here. I personally have voted up all of the cars that I find interesting here...and they weren't just the Fiats. The X1/9 clan has generally kept a pretty low profile over the years. Just because we have come to light in a bold showing on this site, should only show that we really are truly enthusiastic about our little cars.

Sownman
Sownman New Reader
6/23/09 11:56 a.m.
vtwelve wrote: In reply to Sownman: Maybe Sownman should get all of the Sunbeam enthusiasts to come along and vote, if he is so disenchanted with he Fiat-istas turnout here.

Uh.... because its childish ? and because that is not the issue. I said earlier I don't really care if my car ever gets displayed The issue is that there is a false indication of what the "top" cars are amoung the members of this site or anywhere in the known universe for that matter. The name of the site is "Classic Motorsports" X 1/9 is not one of the worlds top cars. They are affordable and fun to drive but you're not gonna see one at Pebble Beach or in a Barret Jackson or RM auction anytime soon. The Fiat fans don't care and I wouldn't expect them to, but I thought other contributers to this site and the site owner might. Seems I was wrong.

BTW yesterday I saw 3 different X 1/9's displayed over the course of the day and no other car.

Steve

Gary
Gary Reader
6/23/09 12:02 p.m.

"David S. Wallens Editorial Director said... Now that we have the readers rides featured on our message board, time to make it interesting. Who ever has the highest ranked car as of 5:00 pm Eastern time tomorrow wins a free Classic Motorsports T-shirt."

Did anybody actually get the T-shirt? The reason I ask is because I guessed the Fiat Cinquecento in a forum contest last year in which Editorial Director Dave said that the winner would get a CM T-shirt. But alas, I never got it. (Not that I'd wear it even if I did get it, mind you, because I personally don't like the T-shirt design. But it's the principle).

BrettM
BrettM Reader
6/23/09 12:04 p.m.

Ok, you win. I was just trying to have a little fun and stir up some competitive discussions. Nothing personal. I do indeed understand your point and you are correct, I doubt that in my lifetime (or any other), an X1/9 will bring big bucks at any of the auctions. That is ok with me since I am NOT selling mine anytime soon. If my car was worth a bunch of zeros, I might be afraid to drive it, as it stands now, I love driving it.

But you are correct, the list is not a representation of what is most popular in the world nor was it intended to be. I have enjoyed this enlightening back and forth and do hope that no pourage has been peed in.

Besides, the only real use I have for soft greens to park my car on is something cushy to lie on when I crawl under.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/23/09 12:20 p.m.
Gary wrote: "David S. Wallens Editorial Director said... Now that we have the readers rides featured on our message board, time to make it interesting. Who ever has the highest ranked car as of 5:00 pm Eastern time tomorrow wins a free Classic Motorsports T-shirt." Did anybody actually get the T-shirt? The reason I ask is because I guessed the Fiat Cinquecento in a forum contest last year in which Editorial Director Dave said that the winner would get a CM T-shirt. But alas, I never got it. (Not that I'd wear it even if I did get it, mind you, because I personally don't like the T-shirt design. But it's the principle).

You should have gotten one. E-mail your info to me and we'll send another one.

BrettM
BrettM Reader
6/23/09 12:30 p.m.

I got it and love the design. I wear it often. Send me Gary's shirt if he doesn't want it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/23/09 12:35 p.m.
BrettM wrote: I got it and love the design. I wear it often. Send me Gary's shirt if he doesn't want it.

We can do that.

And regarding the featured cars, personally I'd like to see all of the cars featured. Our readers have some really neat cars. Fiat, Ford or Ferrari, they all deserve their time in the limelight.

BrettM
BrettM Reader
6/23/09 12:50 p.m.

amen brother David, preach on.

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
6/23/09 1:00 p.m.

Well, if the idea of having the contest was to make the forum more interesting, it's done exactly the opposite.

Gary
Gary Reader
6/23/09 1:17 p.m.

amen, brother Phil.

Gary
Gary Reader
6/23/09 1:55 p.m.

David: I just emailed the info to you for the CM T-shirt. Hopefully I'll have it in time to wear at the 24 Hours of LeMons event at Stafford Motor Speedway in CT July 11-12. Thanks! (Don't send it to Brett ... he already has one).

Sownman
Sownman New Reader
6/23/09 2:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And regarding the featured cars, personally I'd like to see all of the cars featured. Our readers have some really neat cars. Fiat, Ford or Ferrari, they all deserve their time in the limelight.

And that is the point, thank you David. Oh look, a red 124 in the picture right by my post box. [sarcasm]Finally a Fiat appears.[/sarcasm]

Steve

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
6/23/09 2:54 p.m.

Yep, it's a 124 Spider. I thought you had issue with X1/9's.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/23/09 3:11 p.m.

David may be misunderstanding how it works.

All cars will turn up in the left-side column, so long as they haven't been marked as sold, have a picture, and have at least one vote--someone has vouched for them, so to speak.

It's not designed to exclude anyone, and it doesn't. The Fiat guys have just put more cars in the system.

Add your cars, vote for your favorites, don't take any of it too seriously--it's all just for fun--and it will work out fine in the end.

vtwelve
vtwelve New Reader
6/23/09 3:37 p.m.

Basically, in response to Sownman, I nor do many others find the value of a vehicle to be merely "how much dough" someone thinks it is worth. I am not impressed by what others think a particular car is worth monetarily. Whether or not the proper bolts are turned to the correct angle, with the appropriate code of paint, or whether the vehicle has been modified from its' stock intention. That isn't what breeds enthusiasm in a marque. I couldn't care less about what cars are sitting on a fairway, or on a stage being pushed around with white gloves. Believe it or not, there are many X1/9 owners that could afford to own Ferraris, I personally know more than one X1/9 owner that drives one. It is their enthusiasm in the X1/9 that makes it special. You may never understand it. Unfortunate.

Sownman
Sownman New Reader
6/23/09 4:34 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: David may be misunderstanding how it works. All cars will turn up in the left-side column, so long as they haven't been marked as sold, have a picture, and have at least one vote--someone has vouched for them, so to speak. It's not designed to exclude anyone, and it doesn't. The Fiat guys have just put more cars in the system. Add your cars, vote for your favorites, don't take any of it too seriously--it's all just for fun--and it will work out fine in the end.

Funny thats not quite the way you've described it before Tim. What happened to the algorithem ? And why is it that Bretts GREEN X1/9 appears again as I type this, if all stand an equal chance ?

It's at least 5 times I've seen that single car and ZERO times I've seen the vast majority in the same time span since this thread started.

Yes twelve I'm certain most Ferrari owners have an X 1/9 tucked away for the days they really want some fun on the road. Jeez get real.

Steve

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/23/09 5:04 p.m.

Good gawd, I'm a Fiat guy and even I'm tired of seeing them all...

Can I post a picture of my '65 F100? Nothing really "motorsport" about it, though it is a classic.

Roostah
Roostah New Reader
6/23/09 6:06 p.m.
Sownman wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: Yes twelve I'm certain most Ferrari owners have an X 1/9 tucked away for the days they really want some fun on the road. Jeez get real. Steve
I know of ATLEAST 3 Ferrari owners whom also own X-1/9's. Your drivel bores me. In most other formed of online chat, you'd be labeled a troll, good day sir.
2 3 4 5 6
Our Preferred Partners
kHwLFaTBJauJdRIrNN7DHJjkT3agEpZ7OshKgBQ9B2UgihThPJX2VPp77E07Xi59