John Webber
John Webber
6/8/20 8:00 a.m.

Story and Photography by John Webber

To paraphrase country singer and sage Johnny Paycheck, who sang “Take This Job and Shove it” like he really meant it, an outlaw is someone who does things their own way, whether you like it or not. The same might be said about an Outlaw Porsche. &ld…

Read the rest of the story

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
9/10/23 4:52 p.m.

The Emory family is the epitome of the phrase "more talent than brains." 

And they're brilliant.

The first outlaw notchback I saw of theirs (probably 20 years ago at Parts Obsolete in McMinnville, OR) is the one they had taken to Monterey some time before that, either when Porsche was the featured marque or to Rennsport (it's been a while, sorry). Apparently a bunch of the Old Factory Guys looked at it, under it, around it, and had a serious discussion about which one(s) of them had been involved in building it. Rod and Gary were justifiably chuffed about the implied compliment.

That one had tucked-under rocker panels like a D Type, and what is now the signature 911-based four-cylinder with its distinctive loping idle, from having cut the middle two cylinders out of the six. (Think about THAT for a minute. Think about the mods to crank, crankcase, cams, everything.)

But my favorite Emory car was one they showed us inside the Parts Obsolete warehouse, at the annual 356 Picnic (or maybe Drive Your 356 Day, which is coming up!) around 2004-05. It was the Emorys' answer to a question nobody was asking: What would the 930 Turbo look like if it had been built on a 356?

It had a whale tail on the engine cover, 930-esque flares, even the late-Seventies NHTSA-style bumpers complete with rubber bellows at the mounting points. Turbo-look mirrors naturally stuck out from the doors, and all the chrome trim was matte black. Staggered-width Fuchs alloys? Of course. Turbo seats? Likewise. And yes, it was Guards Red, because Seventies. (Thank heaven they didn't paint it that spoiled-chocolate-bar brown that was popular at the time.)

That car's attention to detail, masterful body and paint, and most important the sheer audacity of coming up with the idea in the first place, was what led me to the comment about them having more talent than brains, in spite of how brilliant they are.

The fact that they're fun, personable, and genuinely welcoming to visitors is just a wonderful bonus.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/14/23 11:00 a.m.

Yes, their attention to detail is off the scale. If anyone ever gets a chance, spend some time looking at one. So many details. 

SVXRide
SVXRide None
4/18/24 12:04 p.m.

Beautiful build and I'd love to drive it. My only question is, just how much did it end up costing to reach such a wonderful end result?

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Dork
4/18/24 2:39 p.m.

In reply to sfisher71 :

according to the web page this one has the same 930 turbo engine in it, completed by Walter Röhrl

joeymec
joeymec New Reader
4/18/24 3:27 p.m.

@SVXRide.   Your wonderment about cost would be the same as mine!  Certainly out of my realm of possibility... but then if we have to ask, we don't belong in the passion of this market.   My 'sandbox' of classic retro restoration is a much, much smaller place to reside!  I'm glad to be able to afford what I like.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GdWA5qUr1dcwEyNbnQFrGoIr30hU3LTTQLBYq6W1ZnCHH4PHVpLU8if4t2pYu4px