This seems a wee bit odd.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
2/12/14 7:00 p.m.

Certainly looks like the GRM Corvair.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
2/12/14 7:19 p.m.

Yeah, looks to me like it's the same car, just with fewer photos. Unless there are two almost identical ones in Fla...

Zero feedback seller as well, plus the advertised price is a little more than half of what the GRM one went for IIRC.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
2/12/14 7:31 p.m.

Definitely it, should be reported by whom ever sold it.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
2/13/14 8:26 a.m.

Ask the seller for the VIN. Should confirm our doubts

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/13/14 8:35 a.m.

This is the Corvair that we built. I have an e-mail into the new owner asking if it's legit or not.

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Editorial/Art Assistant
2/13/14 8:53 a.m.

Wow.

David S. Wallens
2/13/14 9:10 a.m.

Yes, it smells like a scam. Still, I'm doing my due diligence on the matter.

Thanks for catching it, AutoXR.

David S. Wallens
2/13/14 10:01 a.m.

And yep, as we all suspected, it's a scam. The new owner had already notified eBay.

David S. Wallens
2/13/14 10:03 a.m.

By the way, new owner says that he's totally digging the Corviar. Now if only the snow would melt.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
2/13/14 2:47 p.m.

He should. That is a NICE car. Having been around Corvairs for a while, and things that go on with them, that car was a solid buy. Definitely worth paying "a bit more" than the typical Corvair goes for.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/13/14 7:20 p.m.

I just fell off the turnip truck, how does the scam work? (just want to confirm)

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
2/13/14 7:27 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

Usually the car is somewhere that requires shipping and the owner claims to be somewhere else often overseas for some good reason like military deployment. They talk you into sending money somehow.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
2/13/14 7:30 p.m.

They usually try to get you to pay via "ebay escrow" or a similarly non-existing service. You pay, and both the car and your money evaporate.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/14/14 7:28 a.m.

Thanks, as I thought.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
2/14/14 1:48 p.m.

I emailed the guy–this is what I got back:

Hi ,

Glad you are one of the people interested in buying my car. It's a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder Convertible. This car seats four very comfortably and is a great entry-level classic that would be welcome at most shows rallies and autocross events. It’s powered by a 2.3 liter Turbocharged engine. The vehicle has been garaged its entire life and this car has never been eaten in smoked in or even drank in. Has only 44,363 miles and its manual. Palomar red exterior and black interior, you can find the pics attached to this email. I legally own a clear title, free of any liens or loans, under my name. Not interested in a trade and my final price is $14,900. If you are interested in buying it or if you have any questions, please email me back.

Thank you, Daniel

David S. Wallens
2/14/14 3:04 p.m.

Tell him that you have cash in hand and regularly travel the country--plus you have an army of agents ready to assist in case you can't make it. When can you check it out?

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
2/14/14 3:08 p.m.

Nail the SOB.

Tom Suddard
2/16/14 7:48 a.m.

Oooh, another response!

Hi Tom,

I will do my best to walk you through the process. I recently got divorced and I got a new job and moved to Lincoln, NE for a new start. The vehicle is in my possession, already at the shipping company, in a cargo container, ready to be delivered to its future new owner. The deal is handled by Google Wallet so I don't have much to do about it. With Google Wallet, you get free delivery, at your place in 4 to 5 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. I want to make it very clear, that Google Wallet will hold your money, and I won't be receiving a single dollar unless you call and tell them to release the money to me. For more info on how it works, I can ask Google Wallet to send you an email with more details on how to buy it. They will contact you shortly, as soon as have your personal details. This way you also get proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from Google Wallet with all the transaction information, please reply with your full name, complete shipping address and phone # and they will contact you right away.

Thank you, Daniel

This one had his phone number, too. What should I do?

Tom Suddard
2/16/14 7:51 a.m.

Okay, and I replied with a shipping address (GRM world HQ), a fake name, and a google voice number. I can't wait to hear more about Google Wallet (maybe ATT has finally allowed them to use the NFC chip on my phone?)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/16/14 8:06 a.m.

.... similar to the feeling you get when a 60 Minutes news team is in your outer office.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
2/16/14 10:11 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Okay, and I replied with a shipping address (GRM world HQ),

now that's funny! you should ask him if that's the car that was in the magazine...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
2/16/14 9:37 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: This one had his phone number, too. What should I do?

I assume you already reported it to eBay? They at least used to take this kinda thing pretty seriously.

David S. Wallens
2/17/14 10:42 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: This one had his phone number, too. What should I do?
I assume you already reported it to eBay? They at least used to take this kinda thing pretty seriously.

Yes, I reported it to eBay and so did the (legit) current owner.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
2/17/14 10:25 p.m.

And it's gone! Looks like eBay took it down.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VsLY3NyqJTWWbvintpatEgjG6twZ96pufqDYoOhFp1HtyYMbZFvZoigr7z2mnrlt