KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
11/30/08 4:12 p.m.

I picked up a set of headers for my 914. I am considering the following:

1) Jet hot coating. 2) Coating them myself with high-heat paint (FLAPS variety)
3) High heat paint + wrapping insulation. 4) Maybe this: http://www.techlinecoatings.com/about.htm

Anyone have experience or preferences? Please let me know.

TIA!

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
11/30/08 5:59 p.m.

Jett-Hot works nicely, I've done a couple of cars with them.

Series6
Series6 New Reader
12/1/08 7:45 p.m.

I had Jet Hot do mine. Same finish as above. Well worth it.

Nick
Nick Reader
12/1/08 10:23 p.m.

Those Jet Hottie headers look good and I've only heard positive about the results.

But on a related note, has anyone used or heard about the Swain coatings for similar applications?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/2/08 10:12 a.m.

We have used Swain Tech Coatings on a number of project cars in the past, (Volvo 142, Sunbeam Tiger) and will continue to use them in the future. The finish looks great and really does a great job of lowering temperatures. The Jet Hot coatings look fantastic, but I believe the Swain coatings reduce heat a bit better. The Swain coating is more a a flat white finish, not quite as attractive as a Jet Hot, but still nice to look at. Either coating is a good way to go, but if underhood heat is a real issue, I'd check out Swain Tech.

www.swaintech.com or www.jet-hot.com

Nick
Nick Reader
12/2/08 10:54 p.m.

Thank you, Joe. I've also heard other very favorable experiences, so I think this winter I'll pull my exhaust manifold and some exhaust piping off along with the turbo hot-side and have it all Swain Tech coated. That's a lot of surface area contributing to my underhood heat. I got some of that wrap stuff too, but I'd like to coat it under the wrapper. Maybe even coat inside & outside? I'll ask Swain Tech if that's worth it.

Joe Gearin
12/3/08 10:55 a.m.

Nick,

I think you'll find that with the Swain coatings you don't need the wrap. I've also heard stories of moisture collecting in wrappings and corroding the header over time. If you are dealing with a stainless header, I wouldn't imagine this would be an issue, but it's something to consider.

I'm sure the guys at Swain can answer your questions...nice folks!

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
12/3/08 12:05 p.m.

I read that swain will sell you the materials and you can apply them yourself. The heat from the exhaust will cure the application.

Has anyone done this?

Lou
Lou New Reader
12/3/08 5:48 p.m.

I've had Jet-Hot on the stainless steel header on my Cosworth Vega for probably a good 10 or 12 years now, and its held up extremely well, and that motor emits an awful lot of heat.

techlineadmin
techlineadmin
4/23/09 2:40 p.m.

Hello. my name is stan. I work at Techline. alot of the replys have to do with priceing. the prices for the Techline stuff is at there web store. www.techlinecoatingswebstore.com. the items listed there are avilable to the public. if you have a shop. there is more available. Hope that this helps

Joe Gearin
4/24/09 10:28 a.m.

Hmmm...... a good way to reach these folks, and a bunch more would be to advertise in Classic Motorsports...don't you think?

Media kit is headed to Leonard. Thanks Stan!

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/25/09 9:26 p.m.

I tried the FLAPS high-temp paint. It was not in good shape after a visit to Laguna on my complex "bundle of snakes" header, but the black stuff on my Locost header and exhaust looks okay. Straighter pipes and more airflow, less heat concentration.

I just got my snakey header done in white ceramic. I don't know the brand, but it's glossy. We coat turbos in similar stuff and it holds up well, so I have high hopes. Cost me $200 for this.

I've lost a header to what looked like burning through after being wrapped. I'm not a fan.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
4/26/09 9:19 a.m.

Like you said straighter pipes have better flow - so why the snake breeding ball?

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
4/26/09 10:27 a.m.
bikesnrovers wrote: Like you said straighter pipes have better flow - so why the snake breeding ball?

To get the proper length on the primaries and maintain ground clearance. Header designs like that are common in cars with little ground clearance, they look crazy but it works.

Keith,

How's the coating holding up on the flex joint? I've never seen one coated before.

Bob

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/26/09 11:11 a.m.

I didn't say straighter pipes have better flow - at least, not intentionally The headers on the Locost are hanging out in the breeze while these are trapped inside an engine bay. That airflow.

That header was an experiment. I wanted to move the collector up above the steering column, but I needed primaries that were 31" long. So that was the solution. Besides, it was a fun challenge. And it worked - it picked up a bunch of power and torque over the Racing Beat unit.

The picture of the coated header was taken on Thursday. It's installed on the car now, but I haven't fired it up yet. So no comment on the longevity on the flex joint. I don't really care if it comes off there or not.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
snCSm3RkNUQxbIMQMQs09ZR2NTNRjk3XiJwZxcLHPN2UlsQywkdxv1JfSeHZEI1i