jr02518
jr02518 Reader
10/18/18 1:02 a.m.

I recently acquired an older car and knowing that it would be running with a local SCCA group I had a question   Below is a cut and paste of the introduction to a new'ish group within the SCCA world.    

HERITAGE CLASSIC

Rationale: The purpose of Heritage Classic (HC) is to enable enthusiasts of sports cars, coupes, and sedans from the early years of the SCCA to participate at SCCA Solo events with cars of similar technology. This participation can range from those just wanting to drive these cars in a competition setting, to those wanting to drive their classic car aggressively for a trophy position. The core objective is to provide a fun experience at the local level for Heritage Classic car enthusiasts through SCCA Regions offering this opportunity using a common set of rules.
Background: These cars from the 1940’s through the early 1970’s are an important part of the history of not only the SCCA, but of the American automotive scene and are worthy of being a part of the SCCA today so this history is not forgotten. The Heritage Classic category is intended to encourage the use and enjoyment of these cars by their owners and other event attendees.
Eligible Vehicles: Vehicle must be from model year 1974 or older and not produced by a United States based manufacturer. Models newer than 1974, but of the same generation as the 1974 model, are allowed. EXAMPLE: a 1978 MGB would be eligible. Vehicle must pass the mandatory safety inspection (tech) and be in compliance with Section 3, of the current SCCA® National Solo® RulesClasses: There are two classes; Heritage Classic Street (HCS) and Heritage Classic Race (HCR). HCS is for street legal vehicles competing on street tires with common enthusiast modifications. HCR is for race prepared vehicles competing on any tires with modifications similar to those common “back in the day”. Additional safety requirements will apply to HCR.

Heritage Classic Street (HCS) 

Wheel and Tire Allowances

• Any metallic wheels are allowed. 

• Any DOT‐approved tires with a UTQG Treadwear Grade of 200 or higher are permitted. 

So, having been on the wrong end of guessing what the SCCA rules could mean, I used their system and asked for a clarification.

What does " Any metallic wheels are allowed" mean?  Below, the response.  

And we have an answer from Doug Gill at the home office:

I’m not the Solo Events Board, but I’ve intercepted your letter #25481 because the SEB does not maintain the Heritage Classic Rules. This is being done in-house here in the SCCA National office.

When the rules says, “Any metallic wheels are allowed,” it means what it says. Solo Rules section 13.4 is not a part of Heritage Classic. The Heritage Classic Rules basically stand on their own “after” Section 12, Definitions. So there is no need to reference any portion of Section 13, Street Category, for an HCS car.

There are no restrictions on the wheel size for HCS. Any 15x6 wheel (or any other size) would be acceptable.

Hope this helps.

-Doug

What this means, we are released from having to use the stock rims on our cars.  In my case the stock rims for a 1961 MGA are 15x4 steel rims that are a riveted two piece design that have a known history of failing during racing events.  Yes I know, is auto crossing racing?  Now I do not have to squeeze current tires on almost 60 year old rims to find out.

David 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/18/18 6:18 a.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

Does this mean wheel to wheel events too?  I’m not stuck in a parking lot but can actually get out on track with my wire wheel race car? 

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
10/18/18 8:15 a.m.

"No", is the answer.  But this a profound change from an organization that could be accused of being the definition of a " stick in the mud".

But I have hope.  The SCCA has three classes for "CAM",  Classic American Mussel.  Some would say it started in the San Diego Region, but it has grown into a viable series that has run at the Nationals in Lincoln NB.  So, from humble roots the organization now is endorsing and encouraging older cars to come back into the sand box and play.

Heritage Classic, as stated, could be a "small bore" look at a similar pathway. Yes, like the Trans Am of old. Now we just need the tire manufactures to release more 200tw tires that have more "vintage" sidewall profiles.

Anyone out there know the right people?

David    

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/18/18 8:26 a.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

Yep.  Some decent tires in 13" rim sizes would be nice.  

Folks have grumbled about wanting some CAM-like classes for small engine cars.  This could be the start of that. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
10/18/18 12:57 p.m.

The heritage classes are weird.  I am not sure who they are for.  The closest scca class was G Prepared and it got dropped a few years ago due to not enough entries.

The street modified classes are pretty much anything goes with an interior and a sliding minimum weight.  Except for the ability to run hoosiers, I don't see a real difference between those classes and CAM. All of the local autocross regions I know have a street modified 200TW class anyway even though it isn't an official national class.

Bradlee
Bradlee New Reader
10/18/18 10:32 p.m.

Thank goodness for a class for us old Brit cars to compete in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i2RkJfIDhNaMERySScsVdt9LRp7VVRYrkAanPhF8Hxsbddo9aW4zqIhL6g9TlmDZ