Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
8/31/20 8:50 a.m.

You’ve done it: After all of that head scratching, parts sourcing and engine sorting, you’ve finally finished restoring your car. You’ve even shown off your handiwork at several local gatherings.  

At this point, many enthusiasts are looking for the next big thing to do with…

Read the rest of the story

OldBumpy
OldBumpy
2/19/21 1:25 p.m.

I just wish I had paid a little more attention to some if these, especally the part about  "small" fuel leakes and carying a good fire extinguisher!  If I had,  I wiuld still be enjoying my '63 MGB. 
Tom

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/19/21 2:46 p.m.

In reply to OldBumpy :

That stinks. FWIW, we're working on a piece about fire extinguishers. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
2/20/21 6:50 p.m.

I'm assuming that after loading in all those spare parts, you: A. Have a roof rack for luggage, B. Have a trailer for luggage, C. Don't take any luggage, D. Sorely need a good shower and new clothes every third day ( or at least every Saturday ).

I'm definitely down with the fire extinguisher, I've seen several really nice rides end up in ashes ( along with their spares and luggage )  :(

peter890
peter890 New Reader
2/21/21 6:07 p.m.

good article - but if I can add a few comments ? For carrying tools I use a leather tool-roll - keeps things tidy and stops rattles. You will also know when something is missing very quickly simply by opening the roll before you head off. Another thing is to always take a big but light-ish waterproof coat (the Aussie Dryz-a-Bone is ideal) that has a cape to keep your head dry if you need to be out in the elements. And two people can shelter under it at a pinch. Such a coat is also useful as a ground mat if you need to get under the car. If you are a long way from home, I always get my wife to carry a spare key in her handbag. Finally, a good strong torch with a good battery life is essential. 

Bardan
Bardan New Reader
4/18/21 2:32 p.m.

Spare fuel pump? Why not plumb an auxiliary backup that bypasses the stock pump. One switch and you are back running. 

Cheap tire plug kit and learn how to use it. $7 and it takes little room. Tire people hate them but they work.

A good clear electric diagram and a maintenance logbook. This could save time and wrong direction effort.

If you are driving through the desert, BRING WATER, lots.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/20/21 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Bardan :

Great tips. Thanks

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/20/21 9:12 a.m.

In reply to peter890 :

More good tips. Thanks

Hanns
Hanns
8/17/21 2:36 a.m.

Fire extinguisher in the trunk?  Not much good back there, probably way to late by the time you get out, with your keys, open the trunk, get out the extinguisher, assuming there's not luggage or other things in the trunk...

Still, better than not having one I suppose, but it should be within arms reach of the driver.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sDZ15O7NZUrq0KLBSY0zwzp9vHp7PwJagyht7T3hlnQ00Os6Du1VDOhsS0s7BDsO