David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/19/22 3:26 p.m.
feature_image

When it comes to presenting older cars, an oft-overlooked detail: the license plate.

Perhaps we’re too fixated on this pet peeve, but modern plates can look so out of place on a car that otherwise presents in its original period.

Here in Florida, we have a few options.

If the car is at …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
9/19/22 3:33 p.m.

And I need to see if I have any photos from Autohaus. I couldn't find much about the place online. I want to say it was on Jericho Turnpike. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/19/22 5:05 p.m.

It's those little period-correct details that really sell a car for me.

David S. Wallens
9/20/22 9:29 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Sames. :) 

I just ordered a period-correct plate for a friend's car. The plate cost $3.50. The postage was closer to $5.00. It's a low-buck detail that makes a difference. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/20/22 10:51 a.m.

I remember that orange-and-blue plate. I still have two of them.

Crossworth
Crossworth New Reader
9/20/22 12:34 p.m.

In Califonia period correct plates are coveted.  I am glad I kept few plates when i sold my cars in the 70's and 80's.  Back then, I would fill out a DMV form stating the plates stay with me and pay the fee.  I am in the process of restoring a 83 911SC, 74 914 and 71 Capri. I am in the hunt for Ferrari under $50k I will need it for my retirement goal.

I am about five years from retiring from my day job.  My retirement goal is to open a private shop (by invitaion only) dealing with the upkeep, mild restorations, Level 3 PPI's for classics cars, which is what I was doing prior to getting married. 

I will be adding a new element by adding kids, teenagers, enthuisast wishing to wrench on their parent cars, or their cars. The mentoring program will be offered a few days a month.  It will be a bonding moment for kids and parents.  In CA everyone is concerned about law suits. I figure I would consult a law firm for general waiver (just in case).  I want to bring back the good ol days where a kid can clean floors and tools and hang out with fellow enthusiasts, and hopefully the bring lasting memories to their lives.  I wish the rekindle anecdotal stories of Carroll Shelby, Peter Brock, Jay Leno, Al Unser, and all the other greats. Where regular kids just meet them at the track or the shop said hello, stood silent in aww that meet somoene famous. 

My current challenge is looking a for place with a barn and some land that is reasonably priced in Santa Rosa CA area.  I want to give back to kids (including the special needs). I have meet many kids who are still fasinated with fossil fueled cars, but there parents are not. Many want to experience driving a manual.  

Well, Wish me luck.

Steve in Fremont CA. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/20/22 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Crossworth :

That's a nice retirement goal! Many of us remember those who were kind enough to bring us into this hobby we love. I hope we create similar experiences for future generations.

David S. Wallens
9/27/22 2:19 p.m.

Shoot, I didn't take a photo, but my friend now has a 1996 plate for his 1996 991 Turbo. smiley

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
10/10/22 11:51 p.m.

Just out of curiosity what is an original California license plate from the 80s worth? Are they still usable today?

David S. Wallens
10/12/22 12:48 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Not sure what an '80s California plate is worth, but you should be able to get an idea online. I found a lot of dealers selling old plates. You can look at eBay, too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rAQN7YFpJolgDDIpb6Iuq2Wt3AIUfLHtTbs7PDBROvETDh3vC4Wbk5JUuXAuipQ8