Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/3/15 3:02 p.m.
feature_image

The next dose of reality on our Lotus Elan saga would be loading three-quarters of a Lotus Elan—that does not roll—onto a trailer for the drive home.

Most shipping companies will not deal with a crippled car that they cannot at least roll onto a trailer. We also did not want to spend thousands to g…

Read the rest of the story

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
11/3/15 6:20 p.m.

I...suddenly feel much better about my own trailering shenanigans in the past. Well done.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/4/15 9:35 a.m.

Seems to be a lot of CMS last-minute improvisation lately. Fine use of local resources. You'd make a good backpacker.

Winston
Winston HalfDork
11/4/15 12:07 p.m.

Creative loading! I can't wait for the article series.

ggarrard
ggarrard Reader
11/4/15 4:36 p.m.

Bring a Trailer currently has a parts car listed in Fort Lauderdale...

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/11/04/hardtop-project-1968-lotus-elan/

Just in case :-)

gjz30075
gjz30075 HalfDork
11/5/15 5:41 a.m.

The Ft. Lauderdale car is an S4; very different from Tim's and not many parts will cross over.

erohslc
erohslc Dork
11/5/15 1:39 p.m.

I've found that these little guys are very handy for such things:

http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/dollies/18-in-x-12-14-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-61899.html

They also can conveniently be placed under each wheel to move cars around the shop.

greggearhead
greggearhead New Reader
11/22/15 2:01 p.m.

Ha! A buddy bought an early, rusty 911 several years ago, and a 914. He lived in Kansas City, and the cars were in Chicago, and they were cheap (way underpriced, so time was of the essence). He found a flatbed tow truck owner that said he would drive there and back over the weekend for $500 or something, and they were off. When they got there, the 914 was loaded on the bed, because it was a 914-6, and while rough, was more valuable. The 911 had a rusty front tub, so the suspension mounts were less than secure.

A trip to home depot for 2x4s and lots of wood screws, and they built a through-the-trunk-floor front suspension reinforcement and towed the 911 (rear wheels in the air - stuck in gear or something I can't remember) with the front wheels on the ground all the way home to KC. WISH I had pics.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/6/18 8:56 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zdt14hU7ixdAyRJlLP3UY1hWJTTT1HsPIpVSnIm6f9qADYiUNcO6v5eVeNLtzF7Z