Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/14/20 8:30 a.m.

When our classics were new, many of them boasted just two accessories, items often added by the dealer: an ashtray and a cigarette lighter. Times have changed, and ashtrays are seen less and less often. 

Cigarette lighters, however, have kept up with the times. Just as celebrities and politicians reinvent themselves, so have these contraptions. Now they’re called accessory outlets, and they’ve become ubiquitous. Even though they rarely house a lighter element, these power ports are practically standard equipment in today’s new cars.

Why the need? Look at all of the stuff we take with us on the road. We use these outlets to charge and power our cell phones, iPods, navigation systems, air compressors, camera batteries, USB devices, CB radios and so much more. 

Fortunately, just as the dealers easily installed these outlets in the past, so can we. Before taking our Modern Midget project car on the road, we performed a quick tweak to induct the car into the age of pocket-sized electronics. 

Read the rest of the story

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
10/14/20 10:05 a.m.

some of them have USB plugs too , thats what I have......

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/14/20 11:50 a.m.

Yup - that's what I did on the Jamaican-MGA so I'd be able to run a GPS and radar detector. On a trip it looks like a bundle of snakes under there.

Slade
Slade
10/15/20 12:48 p.m.

In reply to wspohn : Don’t forget some cars are positive ground  

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
10/15/20 4:44 p.m.

What the hell is a CB radio ??

Breaker, breaker............anybody there ?

Our Preferred Partners
sHb8e43MtCDS3OraAIwdsumQhnn1N9L5OH2X221SQ1jhRj1cPwWsQrrmA61EsZ7I