Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/4/20 8:30 a.m.

1. Before you toss that broken plastic trim piece, why not try to stitch it back together? Our Volkswagen Rabbit GTI came with a broken A-pillar cover. Since parts for these cars are getting harder to find, we decided to just fix what we had. Here’s our problem: an A-pillar trim piece that ha…

Read the rest of the story

sllewwp
sllewwp
8/4/20 2:55 p.m.

ABS parts can be repaired with ABS cement, which bonds better and is more flexible.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/4/20 3:02 p.m.

ABS parts (which are most interior parts for the last 30-odd years) can also be repaired by melting ABS in acetone and then spreading on as a replacement for the epoxy.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/4/20 3:55 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

ABS parts (which are most interior parts for the last 30-odd years) can also be repaired by melting ABS in acetone and then spreading on as a replacement for the epoxy.

That's how I repair my CRX fenders. Shred a chunk of ABS pipe, melt it in acetone and use fibreglass mesh (like drywall repair tape) for structure.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/11/22 10:23 a.m.

Thanks, all good info. I have a cracked Ford truck dashboard to try it on.   

Keith, what do you use to shred the ABS pipe?  

I presume you could do the same thing with any old pieces of ABS parts that might be laying around.

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
1/11/22 1:37 p.m.

Denim soaked with gel superglue has worked a couple times for me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/85oWj27HVd3itq3UA

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/13/22 6:22 p.m.

Great tips! Thanks guys.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
1/16/22 9:32 a.m.

Two (2) words: Hot Stapler!

I hate plastic parts on cars, and they all have them__except my '57 Healey & '67 MGB GT__so I have come to terms with them.  Even when using adhesives (glue, epoxy, whatever the material requires) I still use the hot staples for mechanical retention.

Shop around, as prices can vary wildly: Hot Stapler Plastic Repair Kit - Rechargeable - EZRED 

Most popular nowadays are cordless units, but my decade-old 120 volt (EZ Red brand) has never been a problem, though I've not attempted to use it in the field either.  Dent Fix DF-400BR Hot Stapler - Basic Plastic Repair Tool (jbtools.com)

Second useful plastic repair tool in this little welding kit: Polyvance 5700HT Mini Weld Model 7 Airless Plastic Welder , Red - - Amazon.com

Once armed with both of these tools, you'll be able to make plastic repairs as good as you can build an engine, or swap a set of shocks!

Toebra
Toebra Dork
1/28/22 6:34 p.m.

Shred ABS with a cheese grater

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E206spVSWQVxbSAqaV3s9nbuGtB1rGmVknDjZmpD3LdSANhcws0sdftFx9Xe7job