volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
Sept. 25, 2017 7:50 a.m.

I quit cigars a few years back.  Don't really enjoy them.  I'm thinking a spot of tea, perhaps?  

malibuguy New Reader
Nov. 1, 2017 3:08 p.m.

Excellent build...I feel i may have seen you car on the road before

Apexcarver PowerDork
Nov. 1, 2017 6:56 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

I quit cigars a few years back.  Don't really enjoy them.  I'm thinking a spot of tea, perhaps?  

I am putting together a kit with everything to make tea that will be in a riveted box and semi-1950's period correct for the bugeye when its done.   Feels like a necissity for a old british car, plus my wife REALLY likes to get her brew on.

Nov. 14, 2017 9:10 a.m.

After fiddling around with the distributor, I decided to replace it.  Pertronics makes a claimed-drop-in replacement unit.  It arrived on my doorstep yesterday.  Can't wait to try it out...

I also removed the passenger side fuel tank (the one with rust and leaks) and took it to a shop here in Bodymorgue Murderland.  They hot tanked it, derusted it, and fixed the leaks.  Picking it up tonight.  

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies New Reader
Dec. 20, 2017 5:17 p.m.

Lurker bump as I enjoy this thread. Did you get the tank in? 

Apexcarver PowerDork
Dec. 20, 2017 6:54 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

After fiddling around with the distributor, I decided to replace it.  Pertronics makes a claimed-drop-in replacement unit.  It arrived on my doorstep yesterday.  Can't wait to try it out...

I also removed the passenger side fuel tank (the one with rust and leaks) and took it to a shop here in Bodymorgue Murderland.  They hot tanked it, derusted it, and fixed the leaks.  Picking it up tonight.  

whats that kinda service run and could I get a reference?   I have a non-leaking bugeye tank that had really old gas in it and trying to decide if I just fill it and see what filters look like or go through the trouble of pulling it.  Buying a new tank is an option too. 

Dec. 20, 2017 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

This is the place I took it to.  I've taken a few old tanks to them, and radiators, and they do a nice job.  They're not in a terrible rush to get anything done, and the guy who works the desk is a bit of a wiseacre, so don't ask them how long it'll take, or how much it'll cost- but for reference, I had a completely solid, non-leaky tank flushed and de-rusted for about $60, and the Jag tank (that needed some leak repairs) they charged me a hundred and a quarter for.  Old shop, run by old guys, and they don't take kindly to whipper-snappers.  ;-)  I pay in cash, too, and they seem to appreciate that. 

I haven't gotten the tank back in yet, though I have painted it in Eastwood paint.  Still need to finish the distributor project, too.  Its a helluva time of year, this.  After Christmas I'll get back out to the shop.  I've got another big (secret) project I'm working on, too, as well as the occasional repairs on the daily-driven cars.  

malibuguy Reader
Jan. 6, 2018 8:23 p.m.

Gotta love old time shops like that.  I was going to get an aluminum rad for my swap projecct.  I just may take the one from the donor car and have them go over it.  Its a full copper(?) unit.

Jan. 22, 2018 1:01 p.m.

The Pertronix distributor and coil is in, and it starts and runs great.  Need to get the second tank in, then it's off to malibuguy for an exhaust.  

Jerry From LA SuperDork
Feb. 7, 2018 7:07 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

The Pertronix distributor and coil is in, and it starts and runs great.  Need to get the second tank in, then it's off to malibuguy for an exhaust.  

If you haven't already, re-check your ignition timing.

Feb. 8, 2018 6:33 a.m.
Jerry From LA said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

If you haven't already, re-check your ignition timing.

My method of checking the ignition timing involves a long hill, 2nd and third gears, and a matted accelerator.  laugh

4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Classic Motorsports

Touring Old Smoky

8 hours ago in Articles

The Classic Motorsports Staff and Our Readers Tame Tail of the Dragon.

Tech Tips: 1965-'68 Shelby Mustang GT350

2 days ago in Articles

Shelby’s transformation of the Mustang is the stuff of legend. When it comes to making it even better, Cobra Automotive ...

Back to Basics

1 week ago in Articles

Perennial Pro Racer Randy Pobst Goes Old-School in a Brutally Fast, No-Frills Chevron B36

Hang Out With John Morton at the Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty

1 week ago in News

Both the Nissan and Datsun marques will be featured at this spring’s Speedfest at the Classic Motorsports Mitty.

Original Bullitt Mustang to Appear at Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance

1 week ago in News

Our friends at Hagerty have a surprise for everyone at the 2018 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.

Join Us at the Champagne British Car Festival

2 weeks ago in News

Want to celebrate British cars with us?

Shop Secrets

2 weeks ago in Articles

80 Clever Tips for Streamlining Your Workspace

Our Preferred Partners

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
N4Ublc40tyENFLxPiv8BNg0Rtqa1U8VG