1 2 3 4 5
wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/9/17 12:26 p.m.

While I've owned several Jags, the only one I am sorry I sold is this one, now pretty rare, a Mk 9 saloon.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
2/9/17 4:56 p.m.

In reply to wspohn:

I saw one of those for sale today, near Annapolis, MD, a black one. So pretty.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/10/17 1:16 p.m.

Yeah - stately and far superior in technical spec to the period Bentleys - 4 wheel discs, DOHC engine with decent output.

I also happen to know that it would better 110 mph despite having the aerodynamics of a barn door.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/10/17 1:57 p.m.

In reply to wspohn:

I don't blame you. That's a nice car! I'd still have my Mk-X if I hadn't downsized to a patio home with only a two car garage.

I had a buddy who ran a Mens store and rented tuxes for weddings and proms. Every year he'd have a lottery of his prom rentals to provide two renters a "limo" for their prom. He'd borrow a pallbearers car from the local funeral home & I'd join him with the Mark-X.

The two winners then fought over which car to go in. They always wanted the Jag because of the "picnic tables" and such in the back.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/10/17 2:14 p.m.

BTW Volvo: If you haven't already done so, I heartily recommend you join the Jaguar Drivers Club if there is a unit of it near you. I'd owned a lot of British cars but that wasn't my one Jaguar Saloon. It was totally a different concept from say a TR-3.

I go a ton of good advice for every question I asked. Especially what needs to be fixed or checked, what parts should cost, and which vendor and/or garage did the best job for the buck!

At least our club was also really into garage days. If a member had a car and had something needed that he/she wasn't sure of, a bunch of folks would go to his/her place and help with the project. And often if a member was doing something a little unusual to their Jag, that member would invite others over to see what was going on.

And yes, it was also fun to take a string of a dozen or so old Jags and go to lunch via back roads a few times every year!

Michael

volvoclearinghouse
2/12/17 10:11 a.m.

I did an oil change last night. It took a stiff drink, 7 imperial quarts of motor oil, and over an hour. Now I understand why XKs offers that filter retofit kit dealie. Jeesh.

The filter housing comprised of about 8 or 9 parts that all had to be assembled at the same time, was spring loaded, and fit under the car. Crimey. It was like all the worst parts about doing an oil change on my Mercedes W123 combined with all the worst parts of an oil change on my wife's Camaro, times two.

The old filter was cruddy as heck, and the paper seemed about ready to disinterate. The housing was loaded with cruck. I'm guessing it had not been changed in a long time.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
2/15/17 8:45 a.m.

don't forget to order a jar of this:

volvoclearinghouse
2/21/17 6:51 a.m.

Wife had a baby on Monday of last week, and after the first few days of commotion and unrest, I managed a couple of nights in the garage over the weekend.

I also took the grille inside Sunday morning to fix the Jaguar emblem that had become detached. It was a minor thing, to be sure, but it bothered me every time I looked at it.

IMG_20170219_095753

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/21/17 7:20 a.m.

Congrats on the baby! I love this car. Can we get some more pictures?

volvoclearinghouse
2/21/17 7:30 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Kindof hard to get good pics at the moment...she's wedged into my 18 x 18 garage, is on jack stands, and has her hood off. My goal is to have her road-worthy in time for the big April Spring Thaw Car Show here in town, so I'll be sure to post pics by then. In the mean time, stay tuned- lots more work to get done!

volvoclearinghouse
2/21/17 7:34 a.m.
Rupert wrote: BTW Volvo: If you haven't already done so, I heartily recommend you join the Jaguar Drivers Club if there is a unit of it near you. I'd owned a lot of British cars but that wasn't my one Jaguar Saloon. It was totally a different concept from say a TR-3.

Sounds like a lot of fun, unfortunately from the website it appears to be a UK-only affair. Not too much help here in the former Colonies!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
2/21/17 12:03 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Try this site.

Jaguar Club of North America

volvoclearinghouse
2/21/17 1:06 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

Yep, google showed me there, too. Two clubs local to me, one is in PA but doesn't go down below the Mason Dixon line, and the other is in NoVA, which I stay away from as much as possible. We're stuck in the middle here in the Northwest suburbs of B-town.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
2/22/17 11:55 a.m.

Might try a local Brit car club. I learned about JCNA because our local Brit car club is a chapter of JCNA, Triumph Registry and NAMGAR.

volvoclearinghouse
2/23/17 6:13 a.m.

All right, ya guys wanted pictures? How about deez pictures?

Got the steering column bushes replaced, and the overdrive functional. The steering column's back together!

IMG_20170223_061115

Replaced all of the power steering hoses, which were leaking.

IMG_20170223_061016

Installed a fuel pressure regulator, to ensure that the sensitive SU carbs only see 2 or 3 psi.

IMG_20170223_061028

The front of the engine, sans radiator, replacing radiator mounts, hoses, belt, thermostat, and removing all the defunct A/C components.

IMG_20170223_060954

The beautiful engine. Dual Overhead Cams, 6 cylinders all in a row.

IMG_20170223_060941

The back seat. So many blue cows gave their lives for this car to be.

IMG_20170223_061306

Driver's door. Simple, elegant, real wood. No power windows or locks. That would be too gaudy. A real gentleman can wind down his own window, thank you.

IMG_20170223_061227

A real gentleman also selects his own gears. Note the "High End" aftermarket stereo. Well, it works...

IMG_20170223_061157

volvoclearinghouse
2/24/17 6:10 a.m.

Got the Overdrive working! Well, the "OVERDRIVE" lights illuminate on the steering column and the solenoid on the trans makes a satisfying "click", so there's a good chance that it works.

To get there, this had to be sorted through:

IMG_20170219_230855

IMG_20170219_230833

Luckily, most of the stock wires were there. Some were cloth insulated, others had plastic. Its hard for me to believe that this was "acceptable", even by 1960's British Leyland standards, for wiring. I feel like this ought to be a warning poster for anyone who's considering purchasing one of these...

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
2/24/17 7:27 a.m.

Looks like The wire with the crispy insulation has let its smoke out.

volvoclearinghouse
2/24/17 7:35 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Looks like The wire with the crispy insulation has let its smoke out.

That was the wire that attempted to ground itself to a piece of lumber.

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
2/24/17 9:07 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse: Sweet ride, please no V8. With that nest in there, for safety's sake I'd rewire (my $0.02)

volvoclearinghouse
2/24/17 12:25 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

NO plans to V8 this sucker. Going to stick with the Jag plant, unless it goes boom for some reason. But when I bought it, I heard it run, and it had good oil pressure and the coolant was clean.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
2/25/17 3:35 p.m.

That is one good looking British car. And it is good to hear you are enjoying it. I do have a question. What is the power steering running off of? On the front all I see is one belt and a generator.

volvoclearinghouse
2/25/17 5:56 p.m.

In reply to noddaz:

The power steering pump is attached to the back of the generator, and uses the common shaft. I'm pretty sure they did this because they ran out of room to hang any other accessories off the front of the engine in that narrow bay. Adding Air Conditioning seems like a frightful proposition.

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
2/27/17 4:20 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: In reply to 759NRNG: NO plans to V8 this sucker. Going to stick with the Jag plant, unless it goes boom for some reason. But when I bought it, I heard it run, and it had good oil pressure and the coolant was clean.

You are smart to retain the Jag.. I've seen over 200,000 miles on one of those without a rebuild. My race car with a 3.8 (Stock crank and rods) remains running decades after I built it and I shifted that at 6000-6500 RPM instead of the factory redline of 5500. It's a reliable work horse if simple maintenance is followed.. Yes change oil often.. not only based on mileage but also time.. If the engine does cause problems there are plenty of those older six cylinders that will bolt in. The later 4.2 is basically the same engine..

volvoclearinghouse
2/27/17 6:56 a.m.

It runs again!

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
2/27/17 6:33 p.m.

Love that big twin cam 6, a neighbor has a mk5 I think it is called in silver blue metallic, great looking car. Good luck with it.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3K4dGJbkziPt6zjTbENKBtnh7YKH8DodLPw2ynDcx285r6z5v9bKHht4hvXPuRD4