Story by Tim Suddard and Scott R. Lear

The purpose-built Porsche 917 was an amazing race car and a smashing success at tracks around the world. For the small Porsche factory, the 917 was also about as complex and financially draining as a lunar landing program.

A dramatic change was needed, one t…

Read the rest of the story

drjoe356
drjoe356 New Reader
12/24/22 12:00 p.m.

In the Army in Germany in the late '70s I was friends with a law student who owned a Viper Green RS.  His enthusiasm for it resulted in my getting #0058, an M471 Lightweight  in early '79, in addition to my first Porsche, a '71 T Targa (I was single at the time).  Over the next 8 years I put 50K miles on it as it was my only car for a while.  Many wonderful experiences.

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
3/9/23 9:09 a.m.

A person from Maryland had one that he autocrossed....73 or 74...Didn't they also have plexiglass door windows that were held in the closed position with a strap??

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/23 9:14 a.m.
drjoe356 said:

In the Army in Germany in the late '70s I was friends with a law student who owned a Viper Green RS.  His enthusiasm for it resulted in my getting #0058, an M471 Lightweight  in early '79, in addition to my first Porsche, a '71 T Targa (I was single at the time).  Over the next 8 years I put 50K miles on it as it was my only car for a while.  Many wonderful experiences.

Wow, very cool story–thanks for sharing. Any pics? :) 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aFYf2QP2R7mIitUSTFz9UMPkOgAEgXlkGOgf6AQhkfxXbbdSV94xOPV74bKkPznW