Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/1/18 3:27 p.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story and Photos by Tim Suddard

Can Jaguar's Latest Compare to the Brand's Iconic E-Type?

At first blush, comparing a modern supercar against a classic sports car is a waste of time. There is just nothing that a high-output, high-dollar, high-performance technological tour de force could have in common with a spindly wheeled, tweed-capped classic sports car built more than a half-century ago.

Unless, of course, those two cars come from such a storied brand as Jaguar.

Jaguar’s latest sportster is the F-Type, and its formula is tried and true: long hood, short deck, room for two, and plenty of power. In fact, it perfectly recalls the brand’s iconic E-Type.

So we rounded up the two machines for a face-off. In this corner, we have Jaguar’s latest, top-of-the-line F-Type SVR. And in the other is the 1965 Jaguar E-Type, the one many consider to be the high-water mark for the model line.

Fair fight? Maybe. Maybe not. It would require near perfection to knock such an icon from its pedestal.

Read the rest of the story

crgrbrts
crgrbrts
8/1/18 5:02 p.m.

Though the F-Type is undoubtedly light years ahead technologically (and in terms of crash worthiness), the E-Type is still immeasurably more beautiful. The E-Type is a work of high industrial art. The F-Type is -- well -- a car.

ClearwaterZ
ClearwaterZ New Reader
8/1/18 5:59 p.m.

Always loved the beautiful body lines of the “C”, “D” and E-Type. Not so much in love with the maintenance and cost issues associated with longer term ownership. The F-Type has the elements of the Classic Body styling that really appealed to me. First Sports/GT in decades that I decided to go buy.

Went to the local JAG Dealership - picked out a White Coupe and sat inside. Almost at once the thrill was gone. Drivers door window ledge was about even with the top of my left shoulder, the rear deck area was so high I couldn’t recline the seat more than a few degrees. The center console took way too much room out of the passenger and floor space. In short I felt like I was shoe-horned into a Formula 1 cockpit instead of a Sports - Grand Touring car. 

So to this day I look at the F-Type and its beautiful body styling - and wish it had been about 7/8’s its current size, with the room, comfort and cargo capacity a 240Z had. So like so many others you mentioned - I’ll always stop and admire that beautiful body…but now knowing the beauty to my eye is only skin deep.

mikecortina
mikecortina New Reader
8/1/18 6:31 p.m.

Well I'm confused....there is no compairing these two Jags.They are from different centuries.

Britbiker1
Britbiker1
8/3/18 2:33 a.m.

The E and  F Types are both nice cars but if you can't pick a winner, take a look at the XK8.  Gorgeous bodywork, modern drivetrain and very affordable.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/5/18 7:36 a.m.

BritBiker1, I have been becoming more and more intrigued with the XK8. I think these cars desever a bit more of our attention.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
8/5/18 3:43 p.m.

I think the F type is the most beautiful modern car. And the v8 is one of the most beautiful automotive sounds you'll experience. If I had 70k I'd buy a used F type R with no second thoughts. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/6/18 6:39 p.m.

Xk8?   Didn't someone joke around this parts some years ago concerning the looks?  As in 'nice Taurus coupe/convertible you got there.'  They were also so thick on the ground at one time they never grabbed me especially.  indecision

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/19/18 6:27 p.m.

nutherjrfan,

The XK8 was an iffy $80,000 car. It is a pretty compelling $8000 car!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
8/20/18 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Dang. yeah, I see that it's right in the "compete with used convertible Mustangs" pricing segment. 

I'm sure the running cost for an XK8 is WAY more than an NC or ND Answer... but much more head turning in the right color. 

Did any XK8 models come with a manual transmission? Hmmmmmm.

Our Preferred Partners
pEFNMIjmv1SPoRUXhHPtTZxsqjlF9NKMvBQFiE6ykobMknJs2MkKPoXbwIIdlgwf