WilD
WilD Reader
9/9/08 7:09 p.m.

I noticed a striking similarity between the Abarth Scorpione on page 138 and the OTAS Grand Prix advertised for sale on page 95. The owner of the Scorpione says it is Fiat 124 based and the wirewheel website states the OTAS is Fiat 850 based. The OTAS also features Abarth badging and components. The cars clearly share much of the same body shell. I think its very cool that two "oddball" cars that clearly share a lot of heritage showed up together. I had never heard of either model before. Anyone know of any good online resources for Abarth cars? It seems a much greater variety of interesting cars was available in the past.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/9/08 8:06 p.m.

Over in the clubs section there's a link to an international Abarth club. Cool little cars.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/9/08 9:53 p.m.

Actually, we totally planned that. Okay, not really.

bluevr6
bluevr6 New Reader
9/10/08 7:43 a.m.

Don't forget the Lombardi Grand Prix which appears the same but is also 850 based and powered.

--Kevin (2) x-1/9's

Photobucket

WilD
WilD Reader
9/10/08 8:18 a.m.

That is the same thing as wirewheel was selling I think. Looks the same, and they use the name Lombardi in addition to OTAS on their website. Its all pretty confusing for someone who isn't familiar with the little cars (like myself).

I find little, unfamiliar cars very interesting and have been wondering about the green Abarth since I saw it behind that Maserati in another thread here. I'm glad it appeared in the magazine.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
9/10/08 11:21 a.m.

Those Italians! They take a street sedan and throw a bunch of specialty shops at it. I like the: http://gallery.italiancarclub.com/general/album91/album93/DSCF0567_L.jpg.html

Fiat 600 based, Zagato bodied, Abarth tuned, 750 cc often called the Double-Bubble.

Cheers Ron

degruch
degruch New Reader
9/11/08 4:54 a.m.

The OTAS, Abarth Scorpione and Lombardi Grand Prix are all essentially the same car, all 850 based with the same body that was made by Francis Lombardi (c.1968-1971). The Abarth however, has a Fiat 124 based engine, that mounts to an 850 gearbox via a custom bell-housing.

Check out this forum, Guy normally has a couple for sale.

http://www.abarth-gmr.be/new/

Cheers, Duane

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
9/17/08 8:07 p.m.

Ron, I really appreciate that Abarth double bubble photo link. Thanks! Ken

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KbEDTGFcY4o2aXTTcWxbca7rcderz5789X2S0ZbS8knYlFEk5OoFzkE73WH26Rpu