David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/24/20 1:17 p.m.

Seems like those of us down in the South are enjoying our older cars while those up North are putting them away. Who's where in the cycle? 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
11/24/20 4:07 p.m.

I just put my Boxster away for the winter, mainly because I need to do some maintenance on it like the water pump, plugs and tubes, etc.  

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
11/25/20 7:47 a.m.

Up here in the top right corner, if your toy is a two seater with a soft top, it will soon be parked for the winter.  However, if your toy is a classic Land Rover, for instance, the season never ends.

The Tiger may get one more cruise this weekend before it's done for the year.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
11/26/20 5:21 p.m.

Parked and in pieces unfortunately.  Back in the garage tomorrow.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/27/20 10:51 a.m.

I always take most of my cars off the road in winter. Not that our winters are that hard here on the BC coast, but why drive them when it isn't any fun, and expose them to possible salt and certainly crazy drivers?

The Solstice (actually one of the rarest of the fleet) gets used all year round, but I leave it at home when temperatures aren't moderate enough to allow high performance tires to function properly.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
11/27/20 9:29 p.m.

There's more than one reason to park our toys for the winter.  One time I took the Tiger out in a snowstorm, to shoot some pictures for a calendar the club was planning.   Not going on the streets,  I just set up a couple preplanned positions in my driveway.  It was one of those storms with just a few inches, but the temperatures were just right to make things pretty slippery.  My driveway has a slight slope upwards toward the garage, and it took me 20 minutes to make it the 80 feet back into my garage.

I know Tigers were used successfully in those European winter rallies back in the day, but this was nuts.   It would have been, lets say "interesting", to try to go somewhere in it.  My daily driver (Jetta) went up and down the driveway without issue a few minutes later.  I guess we're getting spoiled by modern FWD of 4WD.

They did use one of the pictures, not the planned one, but a lucky shot when I caught the town plow coming by, the bow wave off the plow behind the Tiger.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5e6e5K1E661PBlQzKY3vgLYJqNhzO6oqqKA5vGuSGu5XYG1bUP40G0DqiOTe0xu0