linedadelastrung
linedadelastrung
3/18/20 8:47 p.m.

I've been a fan of the fifties-era Lancia Aurelia coupes for a long time. I love 'em. Three words: sexy, sexy, sexy. And they competed in the real Mille Miglia! You don't see too many on this side of the pond, but for classics they're pretty prevalent in Europe and the UK. So I saw this hot rodded example and think it's pretty cool. Sort of like an Emory 356 Outlaw. But it begs the question, with a finite quantity of these classics remaining, is it wise to cut one up like this. (Me? ... I'm in favor, at least in limited quantities, especially if they're in crappy shape to start with). Apparently, there will be at least three of these Aurelia GT Outlaws created in the UK, all destined for SoCal USA (of course), one for Danny Sullivan, one for Tex Otto (Google him) and one for an unnamed player (who's car was shown at The Quail last August, and is the car featured in the link above).

What's your opinion? Is it wise to create these Aurelia GT Outlaws? Or, 356 Outlaws for that matter.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/20 1:07 p.m.

FWIW, we have a story on one of the Outlaw Aurelias on deck--and the story discusses cutting up those cars. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/21/20 1:38 p.m.

I spent a solid hour nitpicking this car in Monterey last summer and could not find anything I didn't like about it. I am familiar with B20 Aurelias as we had three in the shop at that time. The outlaws are amazing renditions.  The originals are great but this thing was absolutely fantastic. 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
3/24/20 10:04 p.m.

I thought I'd posted something here on CMS about this great car a couple years ago when it was first introduced. But I can't find the post. It didn't get much traction then. However, I did post these pics more recently on the "can we please stop hot linking pics" thread. But regardless, I'm firmly in the "yes" column on these outlaws, for primarily your thoughts. It works for 356's and doesn't significantly deplete the stock examples.  So I believe it works the same way for B20's. We don't have many B20's here in the US, but they're in much higher numbers in Europe. So maybe we'll see a few more pop up. Although I don't know how anyone could improve on this one.

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
3/25/20 12:29 a.m.

I think it's fantastic, with my only misgiving being that for me it looks too chopped and a little out of proportion. It still makes me drool in a manner too unsophisticated to be let near one.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/25/20 9:07 a.m.

Jay Leno invited me to drive his Aurelia. He touted that is was the best driving fifites car. Other than perhaps a BMW 507 or Mercedes 300 SL, he was spot on. These are amazing, still reltively unknown cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AIK6ZnhmJA595hXWdeIHasDJIzpiyBI2gGL4sgAA2Z3onGOyiTi1R0B2x6ndr5yj