TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
2/9/18 7:36 p.m.

Never owned a Volvo or even considered buying one but this car has been dropped on my lap for about $12 K if I want it. The seller has had some bad misfortune reluctantly selling and said I can have first offer. I will pay his full price. Has a legitimate documented rally pedigre with modified period correct engine and suspension mods but has been restored with what looks like a fair amount of bondo, but really pretty in robin egg blue. They only made about 1500 123 GT's from what I understand so they must be worth more than the standard Amazon which they made a half million of or so.

The car is in a clustered unheated garage so I can't get a good look at it until spring. Want to learn a bit about these cars before pulling the trigger and figure this forum is as good as any to begin my research. I understand its a uni body but they were as tough as tanks. 

So what should I look for on inspection. What about availability of parts? What sources are there in North America or would I have to order everything from Sweden? Any source recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/9/18 8:05 p.m.

I’m no Volvo guru but there are people here who are.  Good luck in your quest.  I’ve only ever seen one and it was owned by a tech at a nearby Volvo dealership when wifey and I were test drives cars.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/9/18 8:39 p.m.

Rust, and scarce GT parts are probably the two biggest concerns.  Volvo still has some stuff, but not a lot.  There is an outfit from Denmark?? That has an outlet in the Carolinas somewhere that has a bunch of stuff.  VP parts, maybe?  I will look it up and confirm.

The 123 was cool.  Amazon's were better than the 544, I think, although they share a lot of parts.  By 69 it should have a B20 and alternator, I think.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/9/18 8:40 p.m.

Vpautoparts.com.  IPD has moved on from the rwd Volvo's, mostly.  Amazon's for sure.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/10/18 11:59 a.m.
TR8owner said:

but has been restored with what looks like a fair amount of bondo,

This would be my biggest worry - just how much bondo is there, and was it used just to fill in dents or is it covering up rust holes.

jdoc90
jdoc90 New Reader
2/11/18 11:47 a.m.

Sheet metal is cheap ,welders are also cheap now , rarity is usually not cheap.  The amazon is a bullet proof tank of a car , infinitely adaptable , cheap to maintain , easy to work on , it is kind of the swedish model T . only trim would be a bit of a search and with 3d printing , thats not a big deal now really . I would love an amazon . and i would stick a 20 valve turbo volvo 5 under the bonnet . light weight , big power = fun.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
quJVBOZ3xKqmgyfWxMhYWJTf8n4FQ0pldm8o9cEJntSUlQWkPNHNHBPqPjH383BF