Mazda787b
Mazda787b New Reader
8/24/10 12:05 a.m.

My father and I recently have completed restoration on a C3 Corvette, and are fulfilling the need for something British.

We are going to check out a Tiger locally tomorrow. Apparently runs and drives, the gentleman uses is as a daily driver on most days. He also has an Alpine parts car and some parts to go with it.

Unfortunately, the Tiger resources on the net really do not have any solid buyer's guides or judging criteria. Most of it seemed to be tied up in email lists and the like.

I am basically paranoid of buying a Converted Alpine. I know that the registry exists online, but I could not find and concrete ways of telling if the car was legitimate, other than the 'FE' at the end of the car's serial # on the numberplate, which I assume is in the engine bay. Where is the other located?

Also, is there any areas prone to problems? I expect that the electrical system will need updating, and to check for rust on the sub-frame and unibody. I have also read that the spring mounts like to crack and reinforcement plates are available.

Am I missing anything here? Is there any Alpine/Tiger specific parts that are basically unobtanium or severely expensive to replace? While I don't expect a 'catalog restoration' like a Corvette would be, I want to own a car that is a nice, solid driver.

Any help would be appreciated.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
8/24/10 7:24 a.m.

There are dribs and drabs of info on line about what to look for. Google/Bing everything you can.

Sign on to the Tiger forum on Team.net, and you will find a community of Tiger owners who are more than willing to help. You didn't say where you were, but you could probably turn up another local owner to take a look at the car with you. Contact the Sunbeam club strongest in your area, TE/AE, CAT, etc.

Ask the seller if the car has been inspected by TAC, and to show you their sticker. That's the one sure way to know if it's real.

Norm Miller maintains a Tiger registry. Send him all the serial numbers you can find on the car and see what info he has on it.

The serial number ONLY appears on the plate in the engine compartment. This is why undisturbed s/n plates with ORIGINAL RIVETS are so important.

Good luck,

Stu

Sownman
Sownman New Reader
8/24/10 7:30 p.m.

Norm Millers site is

http://www.rootes1.com/

scroll down page and find "The Registry" click on it On the next page hidden in the top photo are three red links. Use "registry Inquiry" to see if the chassis number is already known, ande if so where the car should be located based on the registry.

Also on the first page click on "The Fraud" located near "The Registry" read that page, towards the bottom he offers some pictures and "tells" as to legitimacy.

If the car does not or even if it does appear in the registry go back to the center red link "registry Inquiry" and send Norm the JAL and chassis numbers and ask him any info he has on the car.

The FE really doesn't help. A chassis number will be B947xxxxxxxx or 382xxxxxxxxxx or 3821xxxxxxxx. They correspond to Mk1 Mk1A and Mk2 cars

TR8owner
TR8owner New Reader
12/13/10 10:13 a.m.

I had a Tiger years ago, even if it was a bit of a beater. Fun car but a heartbreaker. Always had an over heating problem. Compared to my Triumph TR8 the Tiger was downright primative but I would gladly take it back if I could find it.

Check out the unibody very carefully. If its bad then you'll probably be looking for an Alpine to transfer the V8 to.

pro4art
pro4art New Reader
1/1/11 8:00 p.m.

Tigers have a better body/frame. A Tigpine is crap. Stock Tiger suspension is ok, but a crusier, not a sports car. Swaps from Tiger, DOWN to an Alpine loses the needed body stiffening. Makes me ill to think of bas**rd cars like that. A stock 260V8 can't beat a Lotus Elan on accel, and would be far behind after a couple turns. Tigers are very torquey, cruise easy, and sound wonderful. You should get one. reply to TR8owner:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SE4iZ1MOPGMXa9Zgf2jUlmAsTugyBzqi7FWvdI6BHlbooRFidRYfUUNyLAjoXSAs