Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
2/13/20 3:46 p.m.

Story by Carl Heideman • Photography by David S. Wallens

Let’s say that you have decided to make a piece of classic machinery your usual ride—rain or shine, hot or cold, in sickness or in health. Overall, it’s a simple proposition. Back when they were new, most classics were intended to be used as daily transportation on one level or another. There’s no reason why that can’t be done today. 

Still, commitments like this should never be taken lightly. There are some considerations and preparations you should make, and since the classic-friendly months are just around the corner, now is the time to get to work.

Read the rest of the story

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
2/19/20 8:05 a.m.

I've never had a new car.

I bought a few in the 3-5 yr old range....  Mini van, Chevy G10 van.

All the rest (I'm 66) have been 5-15 yrs old.
All daily drivers.   As an example, I have 91, 99. 00 BMWs and a 99 F250 now on the road daily.

Breakdowns ruin any fun I might have driving these cars, so reliability is #1 for me.  That means replacing things before they break.  Rubber parts are my pet peave....brake lines, fuel lines , coolant, belts....and seals in pumps, icv's, hydraulic parts.

I like to pull the drive train, replace all routine wear items at once, while it's easy to get to them....not on the side of the road.  I do my research regarding known weaknesses, and fix them before they break.  I can then start the 10 yr/ 120K clock and RARELY have unscheduled repairs.

BTW, I don't kid myself that cheap parts save money.  For me, time is the most expensive part.

Our Preferred Partners
VIofy1vtCFejQoxYfewYMR7ppUFkUBNbnUZ0SAvFEsXqwq5nNyW78mnK6KT0gewb