The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
11/26/19 2:33 p.m.

Story by Johan Dillen • Photography by Dirk De Jager

There’s no denying that the Ferrari F40 is one of the iconic poster cars of the ’80s, the one that defines “supercar” for many enthusiasts. As such, it i…

Read the rest of the story

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
4/27/20 3:46 p.m.

The F40 has always been my ultimate dream car. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
1/1/21 6:11 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

I'm with you on that one........it would win the tossup between it and a GT40, but I wouldn't refuse either one.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
1/2/21 10:35 p.m.

Some cars are so valuable that the owners are reluctant to drive them. Not this guy:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/12/f40-in-the-snow/

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
1/3/21 9:07 p.m.

At the last PCA autocross for 2020 held at AAA Speedway in Fontana, I got to drive the "2nd" highest mileage, new NSX on the road.  The car was less than three years old and had 54,000 miles.  The car owner said it was one of three he owned.  On the orientation lap, he wanted me to drive to confirm the correct line.  At the conclusion he said I was smooth but slow.  I confirmed his observation, and said "it's not my car and you were sitting next to me".  

I will ask permission to hammer it, if given the opportunity.  If there is a, "next time".  His times in the car did get faster, much faster. He was paying attention.

I wish more owners would just drive these cars.  They are really that much fun!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/15/22 2:23 p.m.

I think we need to update the headline because Mecum just sold one for $2.5m.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
1/16/22 2:51 p.m.

I had the 959 poster on my wall back then.

An interesting note that I remember from then is that 1hp per 10lbs was a super car.  Easy now.

I ran into a Testarossa one day after work in My 987.1 Cayman S, Pulled in behind him at a roundabout and he jumped. I give chase and had just the slightest advantage for p:w.

The classic sounds of a flat 6 singing duet with a flat 12 was amazing. When I got home I spec-ed out both cars and they are very similar, albeit decades apart.

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
1/20/22 10:24 a.m.

I'll purchase a lottery ticket today and see how it goes. I'll take mine in red please. 

gsarahs
gsarahs New Reader
4/10/24 3:08 a.m.

I gave up thinking that I would ever own a Ferrari, even though I made a bet with my Dad that I would. Now that he has been passed for close to 20 years, I am quite happy to look at the Ferrari's I have in my stable,... all in 1/18 scale. They are still works of art, and a lot cheaper to maintain.

For fun, I can always drive my 30k mile S1 E-Type Coupe, that actually has some storage space and can still go plenty fast!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TTzdhnODmQlPij67kWMh06CWLk7kICUvaBEEn95iznVCJYPTm1XejAvLAE0BwmgG