André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/14/09 10:46 a.m.

Well I'm pleased to say I've got the FIAT on all 4 race springs. Finally.

However in a bone head lack of reading/reviewing the situation I made more work for myself.

Turns out FIAT riveted the ball joints into the control arms from new.

At first I thought maybe the PO had stripped the nuts and bolts because on the other side of the car I found nuts and bolts.

So silly me started to drill/cut the heads off.

Later discovering I could simply remove the long rear upper control arm bolt to remove the spring.

Lesson here. Review before cutting. I will tap out the 2 affected rivets and replace them with nuts and bolts.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/15/09 6:03 a.m.

All you had to do was ask.

The rivets, of course, mean it's an original ball joint. So keep an eye on that one since it's getting up in years. OTOH, be very careful about the replacements you may buy and where you get them from. They have been an ongoing problem with the 124.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/15/09 7:14 a.m.

Yeah my race buddy said get a needle grease setup and pump grease in to keep the boots nice.

I'll tap out the rivets for now and move forward with some strong bolts.

Thinking about converting from 13mm to maybe 1/2" bolts too.

The metric vs imperial is driving me nuts as all my fancy stuff is in imperial because of the Triumph.

I know a nice excuse for buying more tools, but the more I buy the more I rob from my race fund.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/15/09 9:04 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: All you had to do was ask. OTOH, be very careful about the replacements you may buy and where you get them from. They have been an ongoing problem with the 124.

Fiats aren't the only ones with this problem. It's one of the reasons the BMTA was formed.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/15/09 9:34 p.m.

Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) ?

Brisbane Metropolitan Touch Association ?

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/15/09 9:34 p.m.

Wait wait

BMTA : British Measurement and Testing Association?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/16/09 8:14 a.m.

British Motor Trade Association. You'll see their logo on a lot of the vendors' ads in the magazine. It's a group of folks trying to maintain the quality and availability of repro parts, among other things.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
9/16/09 11:19 a.m.

Well I'd drink to that.

A.

DneprDave
DneprDave New Reader
9/16/09 4:09 p.m.

I prefer Bangkok Mass Transit Authority!

Dave

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6FZDq8hlOjelTQtweIIObS78BRIbsko3wOZxefZ3jdQDjq6Hfcc3T5uNTzB2KqFc