David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/26/18 2:47 p.m.

The ’70s were all about the wedge. It was the shape to have, whether it was haircuts, shoes or sleek, low-cut supercars that could cleave right through the air with minimal effort. Italian design houses Bertone, Giugiaro and Pininfarina took that idea to the extreme, while exotic car builders like Lotus, Ferrari and Lamborghini turned some of those dreams into showroom stars.

Owning one of these cars today usually involves some sort of reality check, though. Most carry some combination of sky-high prices, cantankerous drivelines and unrealistic ergonomics.

There is one wedge that delivers pleasure without all the pain. Meet the BMW M1. According to Hagerty, prices have recently dipped a bit off their highs, despite the fact that only 399 road-going versions were built. Now might be the time to buy one–assuming, of course, that you have the cash. For the rest of us, the M1 still offers a glimpse into the first days of BMW Motorsport, the group that has since given us so many fan favorites, like the M3, M5 and M6.

Read the rest of the story

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/26/18 3:22 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Now might be the time to buy one–assuming, of course, that you have the cash. 

The only reason I don't own one. smiley  I've lusted after them ever since they were introduced.

Olivialisa
Olivialisa New Reader
3/1/18 12:05 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
David S. Wallens said:
Now might be the time to buy one–assuming, of course, that you have the cash. 

The only reason I don't own one. smiley  I've lusted after them ever since they were introduced.

There is a logical argument for you.

LanEvo
LanEvo HalfDork
3/7/18 7:03 a.m.

I've only ever been a passenger in one. Thrilling. The sound of the engine is unbelievable

Our Preferred Partners
cYToUlsXGAMyeMWoCuy6vmMERgPr2edWb38hz2iWb93j9YfHtAEuAcO7imw2VOov