1 2
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/19/10 4:23 p.m.

During my roadtrip this past weekend I came across a nice gentleman who has quite the collection of Triumph cars and parts. The whole lot is for sale, but as a whole, not separately. If you know of anyone who would be willing to buy the entire shebang, pm me please. Keep in mind there are over 30 cars, and tons of NOS (new old stock) factory parts. This wouldn't be an inexpensive proposition, but the owner seems fair. He just wants to make sure these parts get used and not crushed.

flyinlow
flyinlow New Reader
5/19/10 7:56 p.m.

I'd pay him $100 for an hour with my tools in that yard....

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
5/20/10 6:06 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Where is it?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
5/20/10 7:55 a.m.

Is this the guy off Roper Mountain Road in Greenville,SC?

Joe Gearin
5/20/10 8:48 a.m.

Sorry guys, I'm not at liberty to say where the farm is. Not yet at least. We are trying to help him get the cars/ parts into enthusiast hands. He is considering all kinds of ways to do this, but until we know what he would like to do, we've got to respect his privacy.

Believe me though, if he decides to hold an auction, or open the farm up to outside bidders, you will be the first to know!

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
5/20/10 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Well how are we supposed to know if we're interested in it without knowing where it is?

Joe Gearin
5/20/10 9:40 a.m.

Heck, I'd be interested in this place if it was in New Zealand!

We should have word soon what his plans for the "farm" are.

Along these lines, what would you do with 40 or so Triumphs? If you needed to clear the land, how would you go about doing it to insure the parts/ cars went into good hands? Keep in mind this guy isn't interested in becoming a parts house, he wants to liquidate quickly.

Would you hold an auction? Try to sell to one bidder.... ten bidders?

any ideas?

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
5/20/10 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

That's my point. I personally wouldn't go to New Zealand to liquidate these cars, but I might go somewhere. One thing is for sure, and that is that I won't be interested at all unless I know where it is. I really don't think offering the state it's in is going to cause this guy any problems.

Joe Gearin
5/20/10 1:59 p.m.

He's in the Southeast. Once I hear back from him with his plans, I'll be able to give more info.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
5/20/10 3:04 p.m.

$15 k for whole lot or maybe see if an overseas buyer would container everything . A complete list of vehicles and condition with foto and title ? would be first thing . He might want to watch a couple of tv shows Hoarders to lesson shock of disinterest . Alot/most old geezers / people shop from a catalog and never step into a salvage yard or buy a parts car . this would be overload for most people but to some a gold mine . great post Joe

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
5/20/10 5:07 p.m.

Would I be interested? Sure. Just gotta get a divorce first.

I've had the itch for some time to start on another Triumph autocross car. It's hard to say if any of those would be solid enough.

flyinlow
flyinlow New Reader
5/20/10 5:55 p.m.

Was cruising Copart.com, and there's a nice-looking, complete TVR listed. Use the criteria boxes. Interesting cars. FWIW

stan
stan SuperDork
5/20/10 6:12 p.m.

I'm interested too, but the logistics of the deal from Ohio would be a nightmare.

Joe, please keep us up to date!

Stan

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
5/21/10 6:47 a.m.
flyinlow wrote: Was cruising Copart.com, and there's a nice-looking, complete TVR listed. Use the criteria boxes. Interesting cars. FWIW

Could you post a link to the car? I searched for it but came up with nothing.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
5/21/10 6:47 a.m.

In reply to stan:

Stan, I'm in Ohio also. Maybe we could team up on this? Jim

stan
stan SuperDork
5/21/10 12:49 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Jim, I know! You're up near Twinsburg, right? A big (and cheap) warehouse close to Columbus would be nice...

Let's hear from Joe and see what's what.

Stan

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
5/21/10 12:56 p.m.

In reply to stan:

Kind of. I'm in Tallmadge, a little east of Akron and south of Twinsburg. Are you in/near Columbus? Sorry if you already told me, my memory is shot.

stan
stan SuperDork
5/21/10 1:36 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

No, I'm over near Dayton. I was thinking Columbus is kind of a mid-point.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
5/21/10 2:31 p.m.

Yeah, that works.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
5/21/10 2:32 p.m.

Hey, maybe we should buy it all and set up a lot near Mid-Ohio. We could provide all kinds of used parts to racers.

stan
stan SuperDork
5/21/10 3:16 p.m.

Are there that many vintage racers still out there?

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
5/21/10 11:08 p.m.

Freakin' Hoarder. I don't know if anyone watches American Pickers on History, but its awesome. This is the kind of place the guys go to and nothing is for sale, even the Coca-Cola sign in the background, or its like $1,000.

flyinlow
flyinlow New Reader
5/22/10 12:42 a.m.

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?criteriaType=detailedSearch&returnPage=home&searchType=HOME&filterBaseLabel=Automobile+TVR&filterCode=&freshRequired=true&vehicleType=V&startYear=1978&endYear=2011&make=TVR&model=&titleGroupCode=&location=facility&stateFacility=*&zipPostalCode=&mileageRange=99999 All that is the URL for the TVR at one of Copart's yards.

boeingpilot
boeingpilot New Reader
5/22/10 11:01 a.m.

I love American Pickers! Although I do get irritated at folks who seem to think their particular brand of junk is worth way more than it actually is.

Back on track, this Triumph farm is both the saddest, and most beautiful thing I've ever seen! There is a similar "MG farm" near where I live in Oregon. I've asked the guy several times if he wants to sell, but his prices are just ridiculous. Like a rusted out, stripped down mid-seventies MGB with no engine is worth $8500.00! Meanwhile all his cars are slowly rusting into oblivion. Just like on American Pickers!

EvanB
EvanB Dork
5/22/10 5:27 p.m.
stan wrote: In reply to bravenrace: No, I'm over near Dayton. I was thinking Columbus is kind of a mid-point.

I'll volunteer to watch over the warehouse in Columbus

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SloHUMAoYZhDkTauRhczU3KDBDGbWflcQaPcjbbRyxknPaaRyGtRAIeKZ6xOvGnh