David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/30/13 10:33 a.m.

We just received this link via our friends at MG Vintage Racers:

http://youtu.be/8lzhpAcyAOU

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
10/30/13 10:41 a.m.

Too bad that the car is basically made in China and then assembled in England.

I have seen a couple of the new MGs. Looks kinda strange with Chinese writing on some of the parts, like the radiator cap and such.

Leo

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/30/13 11:04 a.m.

Okay, a philosophical question: Would you guys rather see a Chinese-owned MG company exist or have no MG at all?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/30/13 11:18 a.m.

Flame War looming, but no MG.

China will someday own the World, not allowing them to make MGs may postpone this a few days.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
10/30/13 11:27 a.m.

Let's all grow up folks. We do live in a global economy.

After the Japanese flooding the first plant in North America to shut down from lack of parts was?

It was the Good Ole Merican Chevy Truck plant in Mexico!

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, won't change a thing. Just enjoy the products in our global world.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/30/13 11:57 a.m.

I would rather MG exist as a sports car company not another front wheel drive family car building husk of it's former self. Of coarse I would rather have Triumph back.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
10/30/13 2:52 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I would rather MG exist as a sports car company not another front wheel drive family car building husk of it's former self. Of coarse I would rather have Triumph back.

Me too! But life does go on.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
10/31/13 6:53 a.m.
Rupert wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I would rather MG exist as a sports car company not another front wheel drive family car building husk of it's former self. Of coarse I would rather have Triumph back.

Me too! But life does go on.

I agree. But even if it will exist as a fwd family car, it's BOOOORRRING looking. Nothing MG-like in the design. Not that I know what it should look like but I do know I don't like this one. Kinda like art.

ransom
ransom UberDork
10/31/13 9:43 a.m.

That's not an MG in any meaningful (to me) way. Can't get my evolving take on globalism down to a reasonable post, so I'll just say that this car wouldn't sway me one way or the other.

Before I watched the video, I was figuring it was the outsourcing of the heritage reproduction/continuation bits, about which I'd have been much more distressed by a China-or-nothing proposition...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
10/31/13 11:19 a.m.

It is only a meaningless badge at this point. I think the Chinese have severely overestimated its value and underestimated the damage the last owners did to the brand. I'd say let it die a dignified death rather than become the Yves St. Laurent of cars.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
10/31/13 3:07 p.m.

Basil hit it on the head...Its just a sticker now. The DNA did not carry forward. If I name my kid Jim Clark, no matter what, she isn't Jim Clark...LOL

It goes beyond ownership. The cars are made in China. Shipped to England for final assembly.

I would not like to see the marque continue.

Leo

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
10/31/13 3:17 p.m.

 photo MGofRiyadh2_zpsbcb4b4e7.jpg

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/31/13 3:47 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: It is only a meaningless badge at this point. I think the Chinese have severely overestimated its value and underestimated the damage the last owners did to the brand.

I disagree with this. I don't think it is a worthless badge if they were producing cool stuff and IMHO they were more taken down because of Rover then anything. Some of the cars they built were cool.

4.6liter V8 RWD wagon. Yes please.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior New Reader
11/1/13 4:59 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Okay, a philosophical question: Would you guys rather see a Chinese-owned MG company exist or have no MG at all?

I'd rather have the MG marque exist. The Lotus name has been passed around for a long time. The difference is that Lotus is still based and built in the U.K.

It's not clear to me how much of the design and assembly of MG's actually happens in the U.K. Seems like it's not much.

I understand that Clarkson will test a new MG this season on Top Gear ( that he ends up having to push). Should be fun

Our Preferred Partners
vh2Y3wOJW38nZif7Ic2NIOP2YL6gafa4EDg52g39bRZ81EWIA1IN5nXz9c6Z3G6w