Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
6/10/10 1:26 p.m.

The original James Bond Aston Martin is going up for auction. Andy sent these pictures along from the RM auction folks.

The story behind this car is pretty amazing as well.

RM said said:

As the ‘Road Car’ driven by Sean Connery in Goldfinger, FMP 7B was fitted with one of the first Vantage engine of any DB5, however, it displays triple SU carbs rather than Webers

For Thunderball, FMP 7B was fitted with the full complement of famous Bond ‘gadgets’ - by the Factory - that are seen onscreen, including machine guns, bullet-proof shield, revolving number plates, tracking device, removable roof panel, oil slick sprayer, nail spreader and smoke screen - all controlled from factory installed toggles and switches hidden in the center arm-rest

Two Aston Martin DB5s were used on screen for the production of the timeless 1960’s James Bond classics, Goldfinger and Thunderball. One of those two cars was reported stolen in 1997 and is believed to have been destroyed. The other is FMP 7B

FMP 7B was the 'Road Car' used in Goldfinger . Featured in various locations and intended for the fast driving sequences, FMP 7B was given substantial screen time, most notably the scenes at the Stoke Park Club and, even more recognizably, when Bond is spying on Mr. Goldfinger from the picturesque Furka Pass in Switzerland

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
6/10/10 1:41 p.m.

I had the opportunity to drive this cars clone, the press car that Sean Connery drove to the Premiere with all the gadgets. It is my all time favorite driving experience.

I wish I had the money to buy this thing. It will likely sell for well in excess of $5,000,000 which is a bit rich for me to be sure.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
6/10/10 1:47 p.m.

Oh wow.

A.

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
6/10/10 9:16 p.m.

Very cool car.

Series6
Series6 New Reader
6/11/10 3:05 a.m.

all the James Bond stuff aside, the DB5 is one of the most beautiful cars ever. Of course, my opinion and .50 will get me a cup of coffee at the office.....

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
6/11/10 10:39 a.m.

I totally agree Steve, They have just always been a bit too expensive for me to convince my wife that we needed one which is how I ended up with a DBS.

pmac
pmac
6/15/10 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Andy Reid: the last time I saw the Bond cars in a British mag, there were three of them said to be all made for the movie. The story mentioned more "clones" made after the movie, since the car was such a hit.

My sister and her Highland dancing group was in a Tattoo in 1965(?) that travelled through Toronto, Montreal, NY, down the East coast featuring one of the Bond cars in a chase around whatever arena they were in with the Royal Marine Motorcycle demonstration team.

One of the Bond cars was owned for some years by a fellow here in Vancouver, Frank Baker, who displayed it in a glass case outside his restaurant.

So, I guess the question is, how can you prove which one is the "original" with at least three in the movie, and more existing??

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
6/15/10 9:59 p.m.

More importantly, how the hell do you change the rear tires?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/16/10 9:42 a.m.
Leo Basile wrote: More importantly, how the hell do you change the rear tires?

You call up Q and have him deal with it!

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
6/16/10 9:52 a.m.

Hey Pmac, that is a terrific question and is important any time you buy a car because if it's history. With this specific car here is how you know it is genuine. There were indeed 3 cars, two were film cars and one was a hero car that was created for PR purposes, most famously for the Goldfinger premiere when Connery arrived in it. This P.R. car is the one I drove.

Of the two movie cars created for Goldfinger one was stolen and rumored to have been destroyed. The other is indeed the car here. That car is Chassis# DB5/1486/R; Engine# 400/1469/V; Original UK Reg#FMP 7B.

Also all cars that have been Bond equipped/transformed for private owners are also documented by Aston Martin as they did the work in house and they will still do it today. The cars history is completely known. It is totally verified with all paperwork. If you call up Aston Martin they will tell you that this is the second movie car, the one that was used for filming and that it had its extra gadgets added for Thunderball.

The beauty of Aston Martin is that they have extensive records of all of their cars. If you doubt what they say you can also verify the cars pedigree with the Aston Club who also have extensive records of all known Aston Martin cars built.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
6/16/10 1:04 p.m.

Stand well off to the side.

Ron

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
6/16/10 1:21 p.m.
rconlon wrote:
Stand well off to the rear. Ron

There, I fixed it.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/18/10 3:07 p.m.

Pure sex.

Series6
Series6 New Reader
6/19/10 3:44 p.m.

Ummm Guys? Tire wear is the least you need to concern yourself with.... When did a Bond car make it to the final reel?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
67BVCeNJz3HXyV4RyqBgcPbNmprvJlrp8rdPDwQDWpOCIgZ1pHuNBmyeu06SUM48