tallt2003
tallt2003
12/25/19 12:45 p.m.

Hello all,

I'm 16 and looking to restore a muscle car for grad.  Near where I live I keep passing this 1970 Ford Torino GT sitting outside this guys trailer.  There has been some patchwork done to the body and its missing the grill, but as far as I know, its got a 390 and all the goodies to go with it under the hood.   Im hoping I can get a decent deal on it and have enough time to fix it up before grad.  Is this car plausible for my first muscle car, or should I go looking somewhere else?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
12/29/19 7:53 p.m.

While the Torino can be cool, body and trim parts can be hard to find. Not popular enough for reproduction parts or a big aftermarket following. Sure, you can make it go down the road, mechanical bits should be easy to get. But making it "pretty" could get very expensive. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
12/30/19 11:54 a.m.

It's a fine platform to start with.  The 390 has a cult following.  It's not as cheap or easy to find parts, but the good news is that it has value.  You could always sell it for good money and buy a dime-a-dozen 460 or 351 and drop it in.

The Torino wasn't really considered a "muscle" car, but it is very capable of being a fast, fun cruiser.

Bottom line, if you like it, do it.  My first "muscle" was a 66 Bonneville.  Not muscle at all, but a Caddy 500 swap made it darn quick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hsPY43kjplvDRrqxYzRoMwUdAcvZQe4gfLNdN5SVcu8z3IRUjG6YmcqhHp3fwd4V