Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/2/14 11:09 a.m.
Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
11/2/14 12:24 p.m.

That sounds like a lot of money, and it is, but having restored two Mustang convertibles for customers I know what it takes. That car looks great in the pictures. It didn't even seem to have power steering leaks which is very difficult to accomplish for the long term.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/2/14 6:07 p.m.

The car is being shown right down the street from my house. The pictures don't lie. It is very clean. I haven't peaked under the hood or under the rear of the chassis but it is a very nice restoration on the surface.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
11/4/14 9:45 a.m.
Graefin10 wrote: That sounds like a lot of money, and it is,

I agree!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
11/4/14 11:40 a.m.

$28,000 seems about appropriate... after all it is a V8 vert... but it isn't a disc brake car, or a 4 spd

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
11/4/14 12:36 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

Original paint, matching numbers, etc., even with a slushbox I would agree with you on price. However this is a respray, not even the original color. $20K maybe.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/5/14 10:10 a.m.

Could you build one for that price? Doubt it.

Could benefit from some minor detailing in the engine compartment; the random red wires really detract from the quality of the car.

The underside of the shell looks unrestored compared to the top. Rare in a high end restoration.

Trunk could fit better.

What's with the gas pedal?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
11/5/14 10:16 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: $28,000 seems about appropriate... after all it is a V8 vert... but it isn't a disc brake car, or a 4 spd

22-23K car in my opinion, its a A code nothing really special in that year and they did make a ton of them. If it had disk brakes and a 4 speed it would have been ordered typically with a K code motor which would put it at a huge price ~90-100K easy.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/5/14 10:51 a.m.

First gen Mustangs, which traditionally haven't appreciated in value much, mostly due to the fact that they made so many of them, have recently started going up in value. The price of this vert is in line with the current values I've been seeing.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/5/14 3:01 p.m.

Definitely looks like a nice car. An automatic in a convertible doesn't bother me much. Nor the drum brakes (other than my dislike of drum brakes in general). Fine for car shows and cruise-nights. My asking price for that car would be $28K minus whatever it would take to add air conditioning. Seriously. A car in New Orleans w/o A/C? No wonder they're selling it...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
11/6/14 12:11 p.m.

I remember people paying in the mid 20s for convertible Mustangs 20 years ago so the price doesn't seem all that bad. Kudos for leaving the 289 in it.

Don't forget, these are now 50 years old.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
11/8/14 3:54 p.m.

Makes me wonder what my dad's '65 is worth now. His was restored at some point, too, but it has front discs, pony interior, it's a coupe, and it's a GT.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
11/11/14 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

The only negative to some would be coupe rather than a vert. And as has been pointed out there are a ton of early Mustangs out there. I saw one every bit as good looking from the street as the one pictured here sit in a yard all this summer with a $25K sign on the windshield. I assume it's back in the garage to try again in the Spring.

If this wrong colored, wrong numbered vert is worth $28K, a nice, if correctly done, GT should be as well. Frankly either would have to be perfect for me to even think about paying over $20K,

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
11/14/14 9:50 a.m.

Just saw a very nice looking '67 coupe in a color picture ad in the paper today. The paint looks great, in the picture with no apparent dents etc. It has the sport wheels and the chrome appears complete. It is a 6 cyl. stick and listed at $8,500. Which, to me sounds about right.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
11/14/14 10:52 p.m.

It's done right, but it isn't flawless. It's won a few trophies at car shows but anyone picky enough can find a few little problems. It's an original GT, though, which I believe is somewhat rare. The value doesn't matter so much, though. It's a really nice car. If it was mine I wouldn't sell it.

I say that about my not-so-valuable E150, though. I like it and i'd never sell it. It's my justification for not facing the fact that it is so worthless nobody would ever buy it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FNynLZejCoWlSBu1O3O3Dc4f0X4Hp6re7z0S56oXIvYz89EDdHgft9nxAtVdMwTo