1 2
Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
7/26/09 9:44 p.m.

I went to Advanced Auto today to pick up some oil so I could pre-treat with zinc additive. Come to find out that Valvoline offers an oil already with it. VR1 racing oil. Advanced had it on the shelf as 20W-50 or strait 50. Im tickeled!

The real bonus is that it cost the same as regular oil.

DneprDave
DneprDave New Reader
7/26/09 11:23 p.m.

I use Mobil 1 20W-50. Slippery is slippery.

Dave

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
7/27/09 1:02 a.m.

Ummm... Yeah, Leo, they have over-the-counter Zinc additives available these days. That said, I'm tickeld for ya... Though it's actually spelled tickled. Very exciting to see that the CMS forums have gotten to the point of discussing Zinc and "meatballs". What could possibly be next??? Krylon or Rustoleum? Bias plies or radials? Tastes great or less filling? Ginger or Mary Ann? Insane... Absolutely insane. Cheers, Scott

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
7/27/09 7:20 a.m.

Mary Ann.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
7/27/09 7:44 a.m.
  1. POR-15
  2. Radials
  3. Mary Ann.

Valvoline Racing Oil.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/27/09 1:36 p.m.

Ditto on VR1. What does Mary Ann mean?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/27/09 1:50 p.m.

Tastes great.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
7/27/09 1:52 p.m.

Less filling.

Trevor
Trevor Dork
7/27/09 3:51 p.m.

I'd go with Mary Ann ... thinking with my "dipstick"

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
7/27/09 4:32 p.m.

Jeeze(I hope I spelled that right), I hope I didnt upset anybody with this thread, talking about the correct oil for our CLASSIC CARS(you know, the ones that have pushrods and flat tappets, that require zinc). I guess I missed the website or forum for "modern oil for you CLASSIC CAR".

Maybe Im the only one that dosnt get off on mixing stuff in my free time for my CLASSIC CAR(you know, the ones that have pushrods and flat tappets, that require zinc).

I normally dont engage in this sort of behavior, but...

My car is faster and cooler than GSCReno911s car will ever be!

LASTLY: MARY ANN!

Leo

LOL...LOL...

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
7/27/09 5:40 p.m.

VR1 is fine, also Valvoline "All Fleet" 15W-40. For a while Shell Rotella T was the stuff to use (according to the people who grind cams for me), but I think there's only one specific formula of Rotella that still has enough ZDDP in it -- the ground keeps changing underfoot on this oil stuff.

My real preference is for Brad Penn racing oil, which is just exactly the old Kendall "green" GT oil sold under a different label. Harder to find, though...

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
7/27/09 6:12 p.m.

Damn, ya got me Leo... Truth be told, I don't even have a car... I drive a Schwinn. That said, Mary Ann or Jeannie??? Cheers, Scott

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
7/27/09 6:21 p.m.

www.bradpennracing.com

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
7/28/09 12:36 a.m.

Ohhh, Mary Ann or Jeannie?

After a bit of thought, Jeannie...Cause you get 3 wishes! Mary Ann inbound! And I still have 2 wishes left.

All in good fun!

Leo

PV
PV New Reader
7/29/09 7:12 a.m.

The guys at Lubrizol (I spoke with the chemists) recommended Joe Gibbs Hot Rod Oil. Dorky name but Lubrizol made the ad-pack that goes in it and they know all about ZDDP and the requirements of flat-tappet engines. http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/hotrod/index.html

If you want to know who Lubrizol is:

http://www.lubrizol.com/

(I hope my spelling was okay)

PV
PV New Reader
7/29/09 7:13 a.m.

In reply to PV: Oh, Jeannie all the way!

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/29/09 9:22 a.m.

I have used the Valvoline VR1 in numerous 911's, 914's and a lot of Italian stuff including a 365GTC and have no problems with it. while Joe and I were at Road America during the Kohler I had a discussion with our friend and contributor Carl Heideman and he feels that there is a lot of misinformation about zinc oil additives and their necessity. The main reason I use the Valvoline is that we used in my NASCAR Winston West, Goody's Dash and Grand American Modified racecars the entire time I raced them and never had a single engine failure. It is also inexpensive.

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
7/29/09 9:30 a.m.

Less great.

Tastes filling.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/29/09 9:40 a.m.

There are a few zinc additive oils on the market, as mentioned. Currently Brad Penn Racing is the only one who is committed enough to our hobby to run ads continuously in CMS.

Joe Gibbs Racing, and Valvoline have run occasionally with us, but Brad Penn has been in every issue of CMS for the last couple of years.

Sorry, but as the ad guy, I always feel the need to thank those who help keep us in business.

www.BradPennRacing.com

www.JoeGibbsDriven.com

www.Valvoline.com

Joe

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
7/29/09 12:05 p.m.
Andy Reid wrote: I had a discussion with our friend and contributor Carl Heideman and he feels that there is a lot of misinformation about zinc oil additives and their necessity.

I'm very interested to hear what Carl has to say about this. ???

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
8/6/09 3:44 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Ditto on VR1. What does Mary Ann mean?

I see you are a youngster. On Gilligans Island (the TV show from the 60s) there were two women among several stranded on the island. The question that everybody asked was, "Which would you do, Ginger or Mary Ann?" Ginger was an actress. Mary Ann the girl next door.

68Chevelle
68Chevelle
7/28/10 5:54 p.m.
Leo Basile wrote: I went to Advanced Auto today to pick up some oil so I could pre-treat with zinc additive. Come to find out that Valvoline offers an oil already with it. VR1 racing oil. Advanced had it on the shelf as 20W-50 or strait 50. Im tickeled! The real bonus is that it cost the same as regular oil.

A lot of the oil they sell now the zinc levels are very low. An additive is probably the better way to go. I've been looking a lot lately for my Chevelle since its got a flat tappet cam. I bought mine from Cam Shield and it seems to be the best that I can see out there. I'm kind of a freak when it comes to my cars and do a lot of research on every little thing. I got the 8 oz bottle from them for 23.95. It treats up to 32 quarts so I'm good to go for a while for oil changes.

When I was looking around for zinc additives the website I found was www.cam-shield.com.

Bill

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
7/29/10 11:33 a.m.

Not to get crass or anything, but regarding the whole Mary Ann and Ginger thing: (Wrongly) choosing one over the other may require the use of penicillin or other similar medications, for certain unmentionable issues

OFracing
OFracing Reader
7/30/10 11:07 a.m.

Info for the whippersnappers in the crowd

Ginger Vs Maryann

Correct answer of course is Maryann

mike

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/30/10 8:51 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
mattmacklind wrote: Ditto on VR1. What does Mary Ann mean?
I see you are a youngster. On Gilligans Island (the TV show from the 60s) there were two women among several stranded on the island. The question that everybody asked was, "Which would you do, Ginger or Mary Ann?" Ginger was an actress. Mary Ann the girl next door.

I know, I was being sarcastic after the second answer to the original post, which I found a little snarky. Love to see resurrected posts!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
orT0jFFpza061L5WOzC4bXllYtCgyF4QDFCrr6vI37YBz6ILo2y3oGSCKttJzfy0