John Webber
John Webber
2/11/20 8:28 a.m.

Dave Shearsbey looks around at his collection and slowly shakes his head. “I’ve gone overboard,” he says. “I know I’ve gone overboard.”

The thing is, as Dave surveys countless rows of model cars crammed floor to ceiling along every wall of a room the size of a two-car garage, he can see only one-fourth of his vast collection.

That’s right: The other three-fourths of his 20,000 models are carefully packed away: in other rooms, in boxes, in cabinets, in the attic, in a stuffed-to-the-rafters 15x30-foot outbuilding. His collection, you see, has a will of its own.

While Dave’s model collection will indeed boggle your mind, it doesn’t begin to define the extremes of his, er, addiction. Along with models, Dave collects Jaguar memorabilia—a story in itself. He collects automotive sales brochures, advertisements, books and technical manuals. He collects motorsports posters. He collects watches. He collects guns. He collects knives. He collects silver. He even collects full-sized Jaguars (currently seven, including parts cars). 

But we’re just going to tell you about his models. Well, most of them.

Read the rest of the story

Our Preferred Partners
bZI6DTpxR03CuAlPDK4CBMCmvLjQag4c5W8aC1toc2WyHhn6LkhVfdnnPomSGkkH