Rick
Rick New Reader
10/30/10 10:27 p.m.

I've head that some old British roadsters were designed small enough to fit in a shed. Did anyone actually do this? Can parking you small and very light car on a wooden floor of a shed harm the car? I'm wondering if this could be an option for a locost type car.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
10/31/10 7:44 a.m.

One of my past co-workers keeps his MGB in a wood 'barn' type shed designed for lawn tractors and garden equipment. Nothing really bad about it. The way most are built, the floor is actually raised up off the ground and it allows for airflow under the shed, keeping the moisture issues at a minimum.

I've kept cars in a lot of different buildings from actual cow barns to old stables with crushed stone floors. Avoiding dampness is key. The latter was the worst until I laid a blue plastic tarp down and parked the car on top of that. Turning up a corner a few weeks later the entire underside of the tarp was soaking.

DneprDave
DneprDave Reader
10/31/10 9:38 a.m.

A friend bought a 1929 "M" type MG. It was narrow enough and short enough that he picked it up and brought it home with an Ford Econoline van. They put a couple of wooden planks up to the rear doors and just pushed it inside.

It certainly was small enough to keep in a shed.

Dave

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/31/10 11:28 a.m.

I've thought about that, too, but getting a car into our backyard would involve removing/changing a lot of our landscaping.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/1/10 9:22 a.m.

I've thought a great deal about this since I can't keep my E30 in my garage and fit the daily driver inside as well. Right now, my tentative plan for the Winter is to build a platform in my back yard and either put a temp garage over it or just put a cover on it. Mainly I want to get the wet dirt/grass away from the car.

Eventually, I hope to have a more permanent shop in the back yard, but that will be at least a year or so away.

OFracing
OFracing Reader
11/2/10 11:06 a.m.

I have 2 portable garages, one 10x20 and the other 12x20. Each one holds 2 Spitfires.
I put a tarp down to keep the ground water from coming up and added cables, from side to side to spread the snow load. I still brush off the snow as soon as I can but I've had a foot of wet snow accumulate on the roof of each one overnight with out any damage.

Not the optimal solution but total cost was around $500 for both, about the cost of renting a space in a garage for a season for one car. Some day I'll expand the 3 car (or 4 LBC) permanent garage but for now, this works for me.

mike

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nknfxhM3K0VCB8dWfpJt2RkjOB0iRs1jVk2hik3UA5skYBKNBwQnOVOuBPSa33xw